Are fork guards really necessary?

I want to get rid of or replace the stock fork guards on my drz. I just don't understand the purpose of having them since underneath is solid steel.. I've seen plenty of people with drz's without any guards at all. Just completely bare. Then when i go and look online some people have lower fork guards and some people have guards that just cover the top half..?And nobody has both.. So WTH is the point?! Should i just pick which half is more important and say screw the rest?! Or does it even matter? It seems as though quite a few people don't mind not having them at all...

Edited by Dr ZFourdoublegooseegg

Sm models have the fork guards on the bottom because they have usd forks. The s model has them on top because there conventional forks. Fork guards protect the fork tubes from damage which then I turn protects the fork seals from leaking.if a rock hit the inner fork tube and nicks it then your fork seal will start leaking

• Like 2

As for having guards on top or bottom, it depends on whether you have conventional forks (E / S Models) or inverted forks like modern sport bikes (SM Models). The guards are meant to protect the fork tube.

Whether you need them or not is debatable. Some people think off road they are a must. Some think they just hold crap on the fork tubes.

I don't run them on or off-road. Never have. Just keep your forks clean, and they will be fine. I usually use some fork oil on a rag to wipe them down to keep things from sticking, and keeps the fork tubes from rusting. Might be a bad idea in very dusty conditions, but for most people it works great.

Edited by OhioYJ

Ahh that makes more sense.. So i have an S model can anyone recommend where to get some guards from? I can only find a couple online and they either got some Japanese bs on em or have some other stupid decals.. I just want a simple plain black..

Also would 'seal savors' be necessary for an S model as well?

Edited by Dr ZFourdoublegooseegg

I think you'd have to be an idiot to not run fork guards. They don't look that bad, but they DO provide a vital service is keeping the precision machined sealing surfaces of your fork clean and nick free. But if you really love replacing fork seals and $300 fork tubes, be my guest

• Like 2

I want to get rid of or replace the stock fork guards on my drz. I just don't understand the purpose of having them since underneath is solid steel.. I've seen plenty of people with drz's without any guards at all. Just completely bare. Then when i go and look online some people have lower fork guards and some people have guards that just cover the top half..?And nobody has both.. So WTH is the point?! Should i just pick which half is more important and say screw the rest?! Or does it even matter? It seems as though quite a few people don't mind not having them at all...

I'm in the "need fork protection" camp.

The same rocks that break headlight lenses and bruise your body hit your fork legs.

Even if you ride by yourself the front wheel flings debris forward that then comes back and hits the bike, fork legs included.

Even road bikes have fork leg protection, you only have to look at the sand blasting the front of a road bike gets, especially when you travel in big groups.

Like already mentioned, only takes the smallest nick and you will have a leaky fork seal.

For a different option, look here,

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/751949-ktm-blade-style-fork-guards-drz400-s-or-e-model/

• Like 2

The same rocks that break headlight lenses and bruise your body hit your fork legs.

Even if you ride by yourself the front wheel flings debris forward that then comes back and hits the bike, fork legs included.

Even road bikes have fork leg protection, you only have to look at the sand blasting the front of a road bike gets, especially when you travel in big groups.

Like already mentioned, only takes the smallest nick and you will have a leaky fork seal.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/751949-ktm-blade-style-fork-guards-drz400-s-or-e-model/

I'm in your camp M8....maybe these full length jobbers are overkill, but I've never had to think twice about whether they're getting nicked......Definitely don't like the accordians, but these look decent IMO

PaulinaLk2014011_zpsca81a6f5.jpg

Edited by Signman606
  • Like 2

+1

While I was tuning the suspension I ran one of the forks without a boot for a few trail rides.  Sure enough when I went to take it apart to re-valve it, the chrome tube had a few dings (very small) that were not there before.

All it takes is one flying rock or dropping the bike just right.  Obviously it won't protect against everything, but the "ugly" look is a small price to pay in keeping the fork tube in good condition.  Every few rides I lift up the boot and wash out anything inside, which usually isn't much... unless it was a very muddy ride.