Sign in to follow this  

vt 700/750 stator on xrl

I read some ware that I can use vt700/750 stator on my 03 xrl has anyone done this I am looking to upgrade my lights thanks Tom

thats what i use. 330 watts. be sure to use the regulator from that bike too. the stock reg will work but wont last long. the vt reg has an extra black wire, its for voltage sampling, connect it to the + side of the regulator out put. also need to change the output plug on the yellow alt output wires, use the stock xr one. other than that, it bolts right in, it just goes into the fly wheel farther but there is plenty of room. ive been using this for about 5 years now i think, charges batteries faster, and good if you have more lights, etc.

Edited by garthr

Interested in this mod. Any specific years/size to look for or "look out for", or will any year/size work?

Thanks,

Tom

Interested in this mod. Any specific years/size to look for or "look out for", or will any year/size work?

Thanks,

Tom

There are several on eBay I have a 03 xrl what years would work they are cheap !!  want to try one

Thanks,

Tom

looks like84-87 years vt700 vt750. there may be others.

I have parts from an '84 VT 750. I am going to try the stator from that on my '91 XR6

To see if it will fit.

Will update here with my findings.....

yes.

the one i bought was used. those look like good prices for new. honda seems to have liked this bolt pattern and diameter. the one i have came with the vt mounting bolts that were needed because they are longer for the wider stator.

I bought a new/rewound stator from
Ricks Motorsport electrics Inc, for $140.00 OTD, part# 21-119.(it fits a few different bikes-some are 1984-87 Honda VF700C Magna).

should be Honda part no. 31120-MK3-004, or 31120-MB1-024,(one part number supersedes the other)

other things I had to do:
pull the neutral light wire back through the stock stator sheath,(I didn't want to cut the stock sheath).
carefully slide the grommets down to where they lined up with the stock location to seal it and use heat resistant silicon (similar to flyingwombat) ,
and cut down the grommet so it seals the most effectively,
I modified the bracket inside the stator cover that holds the wires coming out of the stator so it lessened the pressure on the wires,(might not be necessary for you).
used longer bolts to bolt on the thicker stator,
if you go with a re-wound stator make sure there is no lacquer/sealant in the way of making the stator sit flush with the mounting surface.

I did upgrade my rectifier also:
I got the FH012AA, they are now selling the upgraded R/R, the FH020AA, these are mosfet regulators.
I put my new R/R in the stock location with some brackets I made, the ground cable didn't reach the battery with the kit I got and ended up running the R/R ground cable to the battery ground on the starter to make it work.