2004 cr250r vs 2013 ktm 250sx

Ok I have a question that might seem like a no brainer but I am looking at both an 04 cr250r and a 13 ktm 250sx. I would be getting the ktm for a steal at $3400 and it is mint with only 21 hours on it. The reason I am unsure is because I am considering getting one bike for Moto and one for woods. If I got the cr250r I would be able to also get a woods bike without having to swap things on a bike when I want to do one or the other.

What do you guys think, should I go with the two bikes or get the ktm and use it for both?

I was thinking 250f for the woods btw

I would buy the CR.... For no logical reason other then it's not a KTM and something different. CRs from everything I've read are a great platform as a "do it all bike".....

Having two bikes, though it has some benefits is also a pain in the ass. Say your woods bike breaks down, then you have to ride your strict moto bike in the bush. It will be a miserable ride and vice versa. Buy 1 bike and outfit to do everything. I can race my YZ offroad on Saturday and race moto on it on Sunday will no changes....

Edited by Monk

I think I am leaning towards the Honda just due to the fact that I don't ride that much (30-40 hrs a season in a good season) and I could never sell that ktm for a profit just knowing that my buddy had that option to do so as well. That and this might sound weird but I think I might want the 44hp instead of the 50+ hp, might be a little easier to ride. I have owned a 2010 ktm 250 and loved it but it was for sure riding me. The one hard part with knowing that the KTM is such a good deal is that the CR really isn't in comparison at $1800, it is super clean with new tires, chain, sprockets, new PC system, V-Force reeds, and some other little things. What do you guys think?

00C0C_iE8NiqiK2Mz_600x450.jpg

I would buy the CR.... For no logical reason other then it's not a KTM and something different. CRs from everything I've read are a great platform as a "do it all bike".....

Having two bikes, though it has some benefits is also a pain in the ass. Say your woods bike breaks down, then you have to ride your strict moto bike in the bush. It will be a miserable ride and vice versa. Buy 1 bike and outfit to do everything. I can race my YZ offroad on Saturday and race moto on it on Sunday will no changes....

i have two bikes and the only down fall I see is cost of buying and maintaining two bikes. To the question of if my woods bike breaks and I HAVE to ride my track bike, at least I am still riding and not waiting to fix my trail bike while everybody goes without me.

By the way I have ridden my 350xcf on the track and my yz250f on the trail and both can work really good with just a few suspension adjustments.

Edited by motojunkiedan

I have two bikes (02 cr125, 02 yz426), well really three. My brother in law's 250f is practically mine. I do all the work on it and most of the riding....he keeps mentioning giving me the title :ride:

Anyway, having multiple bikes is great. Sometimes one is down waiting for a part, or needs maintenance, or one of my friends bike is down.

I just grab the other bike. I hate, hate, hate giving up a weekend of riding because of something like that. I would much rather be on the "wrong" bike for the job then not ride.

Downside is having to buy parts for two bikes. I don't mind the time spent wrenching on them.

I did end up buying the bike, it is super clean, only issues are minor, needs linkage bearings and the rear tire is a cheapo.

Not sure how I feel about it, holy crap is it the hardest thing I have ever ridden, I felt like I totally forgot how to ride. The power is like a light switch and all mid power, seems to have no bottom and signs off very early. It has a PC pipe and silencer, vforce reedds, and PC jet kit. If I am going to keep it I for sure need to find a way to broaden and smooth out the power. Does anyone have any suggestions that wont totally break the bank? Would porting help a lot?

I have owned a 2010 ktm 250sx and it was nothing like this, power wise, or was it the same and I was drunk the whole time?

please help, at this point its for sale again.

Its an 04, install an 05 base gasket, it lowers the cylinder the same as milling.

Put on a pwk carb,

Make sure the powervalve is adjusted correctly. Very common on the crs.

Those three things once dialed in jetting wise will be a new bike I promise.