Sign in to follow this  

New to me xr400

Hello, fellow thumpers. I'm new to this site, but i have been doing a little searching.

I just bought a 2003 xr400r it seems to run fine but just not quite right. it has the gordon mods done as far as i can tell

I live at 6000' and ride from there up to 10,000' I checked the jetting and it has a 160 main and a 52 pilot i didn't check the needle setting but i assume it is on the #3 notch havn't checked the fuel mixture screw yet. It has 13/42 sprockets but the guy gave me a 14 and 15 tooth front and a 48 tooth rear.

My question is what jetting and what gearing should i be running for mountain road trail riding

Thanks

It has the gordon free mods done according to the previous owner!

Snorkel removed, stock muffler with 4 quarter inch holes drilled, uni filter and the exhaust weld ground.

Right now it has 160 main, 52 slow jet and fuel screw out 2 turns, needle on 2 notch.

I pulled the plug today (not a easy job on the xr) and it was ash white.

From what i have researched most people say a 152 main 52 slow and needle on 2nd notch, but it seem way lean now with a 160

Thanks for the reply

My suggestion, put the 14/48 gearing on it, 152/52 jetting, leave the needle at 2nd from top. Fine tune the fuel screw for best idle and throttle response off idle. 2 turns out is just an initial setting, fine tune it from there, no more than 3 turns out.

What is making you think the 160 is lean as it is now? Don't go by a spark plug thats been installed in it for who knows how long, nor not knowing what kind of fuel was run in it. Start with a fresh plug.