Sign in to follow this  

2014 690 Enduro - Questions for owners.

My wife and I are looking for a couple of bikes with longer legs to camp off for several days at a time.  We currently have 2012 Huskies, TE 310 and TE511 - We have them dialed in now and wouldn't trade them for anything - but we need two more bikes to get where we want to go.  I also have a Big Red Pig - 2005 XR650L that feels really, really huge compared to the KTM - I love the Pig, but it must go.

We rode 690 demos at a KTM event several weeks ago and my wife really liked it.  She said it felt really light and the chassis felt "good."  

I too really liked it, but I had a couple of issues; 1) Felt like there was no power until 4K RPM's plus and 2) the front end was loose - tended to wonder.  

Can #1 above be solved by reflashing the ECU like we did on the Huskies?  I'd like more low end power and probably run it richer from idle to redline.

Has anyone else felt #2 above, do you think an aftermarket set of tires would change the "loose" feel?

Thanks.

Yes the best money I spent on my 690 Enduro was to fit a steering damper from the KTM accessories catalog. Now the bike is stable at max speed 110 mph. Tires are not the issue. We get Metzeler Sahara 3 stock in our part of the world and the stock bike still shakes at high speed or in strong winds just like the US model running Contis TKC80.

For increased power the bike can be remapped. I have fitted the full Akrapovic exhaust + header + Evo 2 Kit hot cam + air box. It now pulls like a 2 stroke. I would suggest fitting an HID light to replace the stock H4 bulb and a pair of SII LED lights from BajaDesigns. The bike is a joy to ride.i got 2 other bikes but keep riding the KTM.

I too really liked it, but I had a couple of issues; 1) Felt like there was no power until 4K RPM's plus and 2) the front end was loose - tended to wonder.  

I suspect you didn't feel the power until 4k was because the map position was set to "Soft".  I don't think a dealer would offer test rides with it in the "Advanced" position.  When I took my test ride on my '14 690 - I too thought - "where's the umph".  Once switching the pot from "1" to "2" - there was a big difference.  I have since added the KTM EVO "unrestricted" Euro map and there is even more power across the rev range.  Couldn't be happier.

I echo the other posters - get a damper - really needed for all dirt bikes if you take them up to freeway speed on tarmac.

• Like 1

Changing to the advanced setting definitely wakes it up on the bottom end. The stock setting is still kind of nice for around town, but I leave mine on advanced.

It's odd, I felt the wobble you speak of during the first few hundred miles but have not felt it since. Could it be that the tire has worn in and changed this? It was every time I rode it at interstate speeds, but now it's gone.

My wife and I are looking for a couple of bikes with longer legs to camp off for several days at a time.  We currently have 2012 Huskies, TE 310 and TE511 - We have them dialed in now and wouldn't trade them for anything - but we need two more bikes to get where we want to go.  I also have a Big Red Pig - 2005 XR650L that feels really, really huge compared to the KTM - I love the Pig, but it must go.

We rode 690 demos at a KTM event several weeks ago and my wife really liked it.  She said it felt really light and the chassis felt "good."  

Can #1 above be solved by reflashing the ECU like we did on the Huskies?  I'd like more low end power and probably run it richer from idle to redline.

Has anyone else felt #2 above, do you think an aftermarket set of tires would change the "loose" feel?

Thanks.

The 690 makes its power above 4000 rpm and there is nothing short of repacing the cam that can really change that..Reducing valve overlap would increase low end torque but at the expense of over all top end power..It is never going to like "chugging" along at under 3k rpm...

Mine chugs along fine at under 3k. I've ridden pretty slow through some tight single track barely off idle and it chugs right along.