Powder coating a carb...

Anybody ever done it or ever considered it? Are there any rubber parts that you can't remove and/or can't withstand the heat of the oven? How hot does that thing even get??

I think it would look pretty cool. I would obviously not sand blast Any of the mating surfaces. Is there anything else of concern?

There's a guy that does them on YFZ450 quads.. Millers quadfather or something on FB.

Definitly doable, you'd just have to completely strip the carb and tape off/plug any orifaces and centers so it doen't leak whe it goes back together.

:jawdrop:

IMO this is right up there with the heated handgrips, items that are classified as "huh".

Have fun getting your carb dialed in after he rips it all apart!

Dune riders would say different.. I never would unless it was a show bike.

Have fun getting your carb dialed in after he rips it all apart!

Wut?

Most of us have had our carbs down to nothing dozens of times with no issue. As long as the dude isn't powdercoating the inside of the carb there should be no problem.

Yeah I would take it completely apart (nothing I haven't done before) and sandblast the outside, making to to cover up anything I don't want to blast. I was just curious If there are any rubber parts I couldn't get out. Personally, I think it would look pretty cool having a carb a different color. I don't understand why this website is so judgmental of thinking outside the box or doing something different.

What carb is it? Some have a non replacable oring inside that could get messed up.

I don't understand why this website is so judgmental of thinking outside the box or doing something different.

It has nothing to do with either of those.  Folks here pretty much don't find much use for bling, and that's what this is.

What carb is it? Some have a non replacable oring inside that could get messed up.

2008 kx250f

Fcr cr flat.

Ive mirror polished one before and thorte about anodising it after but liked it to much polished ill try and dig out a pic

Edited by che2498

Anodizing polished cast aluminum will not turn out like you think it will. It will not look like the trick stuff you see in magazines.

Never did it like I say liked it polished too much

Oh gees...

Oh come on I didn't think it was bad of an idea *excuseme*

Personally I like bling, don't pay attn to the haters with plain old no character ugly bikes.. Must see the pictures of finished product.

You are going to find that powder coating the carb is not a good idea. Splitting the carb body, finding a good powder coater that can prevent any powder from getting inside, heating it slowly to prevent warpage and then reassembling the carb body are your biggest challenges. Then the first time you have to clean the carb without ruining the finish. If you mess up, a new carb is over $700.

If you must spend the effort on adding color, I suggest taping it off and rattle canning a light coat on it. Less chance if irreparable damage.

BTW, when you see show bikes and cars all powder coated, understand they never run them either. It is all looks and no go.

You are going to find that powder coating the carb is not a good idea. Splitting the carb body, finding a good powder coater that can prevent any powder from getting inside, heating it slowly to prevent warpage and then reassembling the carb body are your biggest challenges. Then the first time you have to clean the carb without ruining the finish. If you mess up, a new carb is over $700.

If you must spend the effort on adding color, I suggest taping it off and rattle canning a light coat on it. Less chance if irreparable damage.

BTW, when you see show bikes and cars all powder coated, understand they never run them either. It is all looks and no go.

That's an answer I like, thank you for that. I didn't think of warpage.

IMO this is right up there with the heated handgrips, items that are classified as "huh".

heated handgrips are not stupid