Sign in to follow this  

2 questions for IMS tank owners...

1. Do you guys with these tanks reverse the petcock so it faces in?  I've had one shutoff incident while riding.  Reversing the petcock would normally be the cure, but it looks like it might stick out even more if reversed.

2. Do you guys drain the tank between rides to prevent staining as suggested in the instructions?  Seems like that would be kind of a pain in the butt.  Does it really stain badly if you don't drain it?

I have my petcock in the usual orientation and haven't had any issues. 

I don't drain fuel between rides (only if it gets too long between rides and/or my yard equipment gets a lot of use) and have had no appreciable staining in the 2 1/2 years I've had the tank.  I imagine it will stain sooner or later.   

2002 YZ250

1. Do you guys with these tanks reverse the petcock so it faces in? I've had one shutoff incident while riding. Reversing the petcock would normally be the cure, but it looks like it might stick out even more if reversed.

2. Do you guys drain the tank between rides to prevent staining as suggested in the instructions? Seems like that would be kind of a pain in the butt. Does it really stain badly if you don't drain it?

No and no....

No and somtimes.

I have the Zip Ty

come to think of it i should have flipped it around. My leg mustve bumped it slightly when i was racing rem, i got 2 laps to have the bike stumble to a stop, I look down and the petcock is half turned off, and i would never turn something half way.

As far as the staining thing that seems a little complicated for me, ive never heard of anyone doing that.

come to think of it i should have flipped it around. My leg mustve bumped it slightly when i was racing rem, i got 2 laps to have the bike stumble to a stop, I look down and the petcock is half turned off, and i would never turn something half way.

As far as the staining thing that seems a little complicated for me, ive never heard of anyone doing that.

Yes, that's why I posted.  On the first ride with the tank I found myself sputtering to a halt after a section of trail with crazy drop offs, logs to cross, etc.  I was looking over the bike trying to figure out what happened, and the petcock was pretty close to the full close position.  The petcock itself has kind of a funny shape though, and I was just wondering if anyone had tried both positions.  Even though it's only two fasteners I'm kind of reluctant to just flip it around and try it, as it was quit a hassle to get the petcock to seat without leaking in the position it is in now, and I have had no issues on subsequent rides.

The directions that come with the tank say to drain it, but unless you have a quick-disconnect installed, it seems like it would be kind of a hassle.

Edited by rpt50

No and No, the staining is inevitable so why worry about it.

I actually turned off the gas with my leg/knee during a crash last year, I sputtered to a stop after the crash before I figured out I had turned the gas off. That was the only time I've had done that in years of riding with multiple bikes with IMS tanks...of course it was during a race.

I thought of turning the petcock around or putting something around the petcock valve to prevent me from accidentally turning it off but haven't, and many crashes later haven't turned the gas off again. 

Yah, the tank does stain but never bothered to drain the tank between rides since that would be a major pita.

Zip Ty makes a round dial replacement for the long lever fuel lever. I've got one, and other than trying to remember which way to turn it for the fuel being on, I've had no issues at all.

And it's anodized!!! :thumbsup:  :lol:

Zip Ty makes a round dial replacement for the long lever fuel lever. I've got one, and other than trying to remember which way to turn it for the fuel being on, I've had no issues at all.

And it's anodized!!! :thumbsup:  

Thanks for the tip!  It will really look out-of-place on my bling-free bike, but it will solve the problem for sure.

I have accidentally shut my fuel off in a crash ONE time, but have crashed many, many times, rest assured. I sometimes drain the tank, but it is a PITA. Proll'y just buy a new tank if mine gets too nasty.

Staining, maybe a little yellowing, but nothing else, and I dont drain my fuel, I ride pretty much every weekend all year (So Cal!) 

As far as whoever said they were scared to flip the petcock its got an O-ring, easy peasy!