Sign in to follow this  

Need help on seal install on right side cover

I am rebuilding an xr600r from 1999. I am confused about which way to install an oil seal in the right side engine cover. What I mean is which way do I put the solid side of the oil seal? Does it go to the outboard side of the bike or inboard? For point of reference, this seal is the one that is behind the snap ring. When the cover is on the engine the seal fits on to the end of the crankshaft. I believe by studying the oil flow diagram that the oil comes from the filter, past this seal, and into the crankshaft for distribution in the case.. 

Sure would appreciate it...

There should be a lip on the seal you would want the lip to face towards the oil galley.  In other words away from the piston.

See the seal in the attached photo.  The side facing up should go into the cover.  If you look at the lip on the seal you should be able to tell what direction it should go.  Imagine it trying to create a dam for the oil.  Also consider on what side the oil should be.

thWE7QUYJN.jpg

ME

DO you have the part number for this.  I have been looking for this seal and want to replace it but cannot find it.  Looked at right cover, oil pump, crankshaft, and crankcase.  Thanks

I am looking for the one for the XL600r 86 but i am almost certain it is the same for the xr

Thanks in advance

Found it for XL600r  - Its actually on the clutch Fiche

91201-KF0-004
OIL SEAL (14X22X5) (NOK)

1999 XR600R

91201-KF0-003
OIL SEAL (14X22X5) (ARAI)

Really not sure what the difference is but there it is/

Edited by Hedchange

Thanks for the reply guys...I had installed it backwards. I had the solid side facing outboard. Once someone explained to me how the seal actually seals, it became apparent how it should be installed. Apparently, the seal seals by the pressure of the oil forcing the lip of the seal to seat against whatever shaft is inside it. I have the shop manual butit doesn't show or tell what direction it went in.

Thanks thumpertalk

DO you have the part number for this.  I have been looking for this seal and want to replace it but cannot find it.  Looked at right cover, oil pump, crankshaft, and crankcase.  Thanks

I am looking for the one for the XL600r 86 but i am almost certain it is the same for the xr

Thanks in advance

Found it for XL600r  - Its actually on the clutch Fiche

91201-KF0-004

OIL SEAL (14X22X5) (NOK)

1999 XR600R

91201-KF0-003

OIL SEAL (14X22X5) (ARAI)

Really not sure what the difference is but there it is/

I believe the current part number is actually 91201-HM3-A61, also ARAI.  The only difference is the seal manufacturer.