Battery for xr400 with Baja Designs DS kit

Hey guys. I've got an old BD dual sport kit on my 97 xr4 and I am wanting to replace the battery. Rather than using another bd battery pack I was hoping to use something a bit more robust. I found this battery and I am wondering if it will work ok on my bike

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0053TR7B8/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_9?colid=15M2HUR03QQB&coliid=I37V3P88D7PBY1

How does this battery compare to the BD battery? My bike has the stock stator but I would like to get a 200w one at some point. If it helps, here is a pic of my current battery and regulator:

B7CB21F4-6409-4069-AD77-BC5DFF04466D_zps

Any help would be much appreciated!

Besides just getting a new battery did you have any plans or reasons why? I saw you mentioned a larger stator in the future possibly. Like Rambler said, you can make your own battery pack. If you're near a Batteries Plus they'll make a battery for you. Otherwise though, the trail tech is a nice upgrade from the BD battery, from what I understand. The BD battery in my dsk from them is 500mah

Besides just getting a new battery did you have any plans or reasons why? 

Because mine is dead and I figured I would see what else was out there if I was going to be getting a new one.  I think I might go with that Trail Tech one.  It has a higher mAH rating than the DRZ400/SR400 one I linked AND is smaller. Thanks for the help guys!

Actually, I am thinking about getting one of these battery holders:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AZTUI7Q/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=15M2HUR03QQB&coliid=I1I28ECAXCIJR0

Then just pop in some AA nimh batteries and wrap the whole hing in electrical tape (or heat shrink). That way, I can just go pick up more batteries from the store and pop them in if they ever die on me. Do you guys think that would work? Do you think it would all hold up or would it fall apart?

Edited by teledan

TT battery is what,, 40 bucks? Time you spend 10 for a holder, 10-15 for batteries, another few bucks for getting some kind of hook ups and a fuse holder on it, you'll have saved 5-10 bucks but have a half ass battery and time gone. I dont see how it would be worth it myself.

Edited by michigan400

TT battery is what,, 40 bucks? Time you spend 10 for a holder, 10-15 for batteries, another few bucks for getting some kind of hook ups and a fuse holder on it, you'll have saved 5-10 bucks but have a half ass battery and time gone. I dont see how it would be worth it myself.

Agreed. Plus, you'll have to get rechargeable batteries if you don't want them to potentially blow up or leak, and 10 of those aren't cheap.

Yeah it will sort of work, except you'll

End up with low mah with them in series like that..

And if anybody is thinking of a 200 watt stator, you will need an expensive digital rectifier, the unused

Power will fry a diode-rectifier!

If I wire 10 of them in series, that would give me 12v and probably about 2000mAH (depending on the batteries I used), wouldn't it?  The Baja Designs battery in their kit has about 700mAH and it looks like just a bunch of AA size batteries wired together in series and shrink wrapped.  If that is the case, what would be the difference? 

Thanks!  I am worried about the half ass battery part but as far as the money saved, I figured that if I would be able to go pick up some rechargable NiMH AA batteries and be able to pop them in fairly easily that this route would be worth it.  Even if it ended up being the same price as the Trail Tech battery, it would be nice to be able to replace the AA batteries easily.  A pack of 4 is about $10 on Amazon.  My main worries are:

1. Are the rechargable AA NiMH batteries going to work on a system like this?

2. Am I going to end up with a battery pack that will just fall apart after the first ride?  I am starting to think the answer to this might be Yes.

Edited by teledan