Sign in to follow this  

MXA

So MXA did an article on the 2008 crf450 recently. I tryed to get a copy but the mag is too good for my area ;). Anyway i would love to get the details from that write. If anyone can fill me in it would be much appreciated.  I also tryed to order a back issue of that month. To my suprise I could not find. Used to be you could get back issues of MXA. What happened to that?

BTW with the price of bikes beyond many of us I am quite pleased MXA is taking older bikes and doing articles on them and the mods that make them work. I hope this will be a common thing in the future. I hang onto my 08 as with a few tweeks it is more than competative and without a loan I can actually buy the consumable parts as needed. Im sure Im not alone in this.

Thanks cj. yea ive seen that but looking for details from the actual article.....

I think MXA is putting their back issues in digital media now. I have a digital subscription that I can view on my phone or iPad. Through their app you can purchase back issues.

Johnny

I used to get digital a couple yrs ago through ZINIO but I cant find MXA there eather. Also when look at MXA subscription links I see no back issues.   somthing has changed at corporate maybe ??  

Pieces together from 2 different issues. Please excuse the picture quality.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for the effort YZJ. What I was looking for is the recent article they did I think last month. 

There is really nothing special about the build. Basically it is another article dedicated to selling merchandise for the advertisers in the mag. That is fine. Anyone can do as well by using susp mods and other accessory parts from suppliers you have confidence in. The bottom line is building to YOUR needs, not the guys at MXA. The 08 is a great bike stock, sometimes that can be screwed up very easily with the wrong choices. Don't do that.

I hear ya George.  I  actually think the 08 not  a great bike stock. It had about the harshest forks I have ever ridden, tends to blow through rear travel from mid turn out, and unless your near perfectly relaxed and aggressive at  turn entrance it fights to stay on line. Also my 07 was better balanced overall. In fact I eventually put 07 triple clamps on my 08 and immediately felt better on the bike. As well they eat intake valves like candy. That said a lot can be done with reasonable valving, good valve seats, and finding the magic number for rear sag. As it stands now my suspension has been  valved and sprung by MX1 , BeCu intake seats, Full Hinson clutch, and A60 rims. Im an engineer by trade and know better than to follow the "hop up " crowd.  I almost never buy shinny parts unless there is a  advantage. Every mod Ive done was  necessary to bring the bike to a place where it could be ridden without fear of failure or worse.

​That said I absolutely laugh at most MX mags and their lack of worthwhile info. However I have found over the years that MXA often has at least a few worthy things to say. So I was probably more interested in reading between the lines to see if they have come to same conclusions or maybe had an insight that was usefull.

Edited by lowmass

:thumbsup: Yep, that's why I included YOUR. We all have a "feel" that requires a different solution sometimes. A good friend had an 07 and it was the best CRF450 I ever rode. His only mod was FC woods susp. It just felt "natural" and I wish I had bought it when he sold.  He got an 09 and regretted it, never got that one right.  But I still know a few who are hanging on to their 08s, that "feel" thing again. 

Edited by YHGEORGE

yea the woods setup. agreed. My friend has on 07 with a nice soft  suspension setup. Not sur who did it maybe FC. I wish I could get away with a suspension that soft as the damn bike handles wayyyy better than mine. It so easy to manipulate that bikes attitude into and through a corner. All is bliss however until you try to turn hot laps. Then the bottoming begins. Not to mention what happens when you over jump, ouch. Can almost get away with his setup when riding realy well, reading terain, and landing perfectly, but when a mistake is made it hurts. 

You might talk to FC about it. Reference his bike and discuss your weight and skill level. FC keeps great records and can compare/match stuff.  I'll bet(your $) they can dial you in. My friend is a very good B rider doing HS here in TX where things go from tight woods to very open stuff further west in the state. He is now on a '12 YZF and it works great for him and also for my slower sr rider needs with just a couple clicks. Very adaptable.