Sign in to follow this  

Hotcams stage 2 with stock springs and valves

Hey guys I bought a SM with stage 2 hotcams installed and I was wondering if they are compatible with an otherwise stock head?

It's also got fcr 39 and full exhaust. I have the stock cams, wondering if I should replace the hotcams to save future valve/head damage.

Thanks James.

Hey guys I bought a SM with stage 2 hotcams installed and I was wondering if they are compatible with an otherwise stock head?

It's also got fcr 39 and full exhaust. I have the stock cams, wondering if I should replace the hotcams to save future valve/head damage.

Thanks James.

thats what i have and they work fine...

I ran early stage 2's for quite awhile. Changed only cause I did a full build

As long as the stock springs are not tired... you should be fine.

Is it easy to tell the difference between tired and fresh?

Just to make some annoying guesses, then stiffness would change or the length of the spring at rest?

Is it easy to tell the difference between tired and fresh?

Just to make some annoying guesses, then stiffness would change or the length of the spring at rest?

You can measure

Valve springs.jpg

Or if Unknown simply replace

KNown to have many hours, lost of miles, see high RPMs replace out of hand when doing other related work.

• Like 1

Ok do anyone got any idea what is going on with my hotcams intake cam?

It is totally off compared to the stock one. Could the sprocket have twisted around the cam shaft?

(Sorry no idea why the pics are upside down. Probably stupid iPhone)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jave101

Ok did some research. Line up with middle punch mark on hotcams.

Bit confusing but I think I got it now

James , do you know how old those cams are ? If they are the newer type , they will be similar grind to an E . Every older style cam I have seen has an adjustable gear on it , like this

cams001.jpg

So if you do have the newer cam , your valve springs should be ok , as long as the bike isnt a very high miledge motor , greg

Well it's a 2006 bike so anytime after that haha.

Nah I have no idea how old they are bought the bike with them installed.

I dropped a valve when I was riding it pretty hard so I bought a new engine and replaced the stock cams with the hotcams. Motor was out of a 2011. No idea of kms but couldn't be much, was in pretty good shape.

Just finished putting everything back together and the bike fired up so I'm happy. Just those marking on the hotcams really screwed with my brain for a hour or so.