Sign in to follow this  

What's the best dealership to deal with?

Hello all, Just got back to the US after a 7 year stay in China and wanted to introduce myself and say Hi.

I had a 2010 BMW R1200 GSA in Shanghai that I bought and rode over a lot of China and had to sell it about 2 months ago. Now that I'm back in the states I need to focus on getting another bike, the GSA is obviously for another thread but beyond that I've pretty much made up my mind on getting a KTM 500EXC.

I can't make up my mind on the 14's or 15's as I don't know what the availability and price ranges are yet.

I'm living is southern Indiana and the question is who is the best dealership to deal with? Since I live pretty much out in the middle of no where the closest KTM shop is at least 60 miles away so I'm looking for a dealership within a radius of say, Indianapolis to southern Illinois through Louisville KY. Any dealerships outside of that range could be considered as well.

As much as humanly possible beyond initial purchase I'm looking for good service from some folks that actually know what they're doing.

Thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated. 

If you can get to union city, Tn Abernathy has great prices. As far as service goes I have no idea. I do all my work myself. They did all the leg work to license my 500xcw though.

'14s are going to be hard to find.

Edited by DR.billZ

If you can get to union city, Tn Abernathy has great prices. As far as service goes I have no idea. I do all my work myself. They did all the leg work to license my 500xcw though.

'14s are going to be hard to find.

Some time ago I remember I was in a local bike shop in my town and a girl in the store mentioned Abernathy's in TN, she'd just bought a Harley and said that they had good prices also, I'd forgotten all about that. Thanks for the heads up!

I also do all of my own, the primary reason for asking about service is in the event of warranty work if I were to buy a new 2015. I was thinking that I were lucky enough to happen upon a leftover 14 for a good price I might as well jump on it. This is going to be my very first ever dirt bike and I'm skeptical about trying to buy used.

I could be misinformed but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 14' & 15"s especially when you gotta dump another 2-3 grand in any of 'em to bring them up to snuff. This might be my first dirt bike but I'm not buying that "Ready to Race" Kool Aid crap.

The thing that worries me about any new MY is the first and second batch of kinks that need to be worked out.

Well then that leaves me a little bit confused. You've got guys like "Best Dual Sport Bikes" with YouTube channels talking about all of the additional things that need to be done in order to make the bike a real performer. Maybe it's necessary and maybe it's not, I dunno, it's not like I've ever had one of these bikes before or any other bike like, all I can do is gather the information that's out there on the web and forums such as this one and try to make sense of it all. I'm just trying to be a good student.

May have to do a few things to the EXC... Lose some epa crap. Nothing major. And those dual sport places, they sell those products you.... need?

Best Dual Sport Bikes is a sham in my opinion.

Edited by DR.billZ

OK, well noted. I guess I'd probably be better off just concentrating on getting the bike and just riding it, evaluate my own particular needs and take it from there. I really appreciate the insight, Thank you.

I put a Rekluse on mine just because I like them. Is it a must? No. Many threads on here and ktm talk about eliminating the emissions stuff, 'adjusting' the exhaust, and potential ecu remapping. Good luck with your search and keep us updated.

May have to do a few things to the EXC... Lose some epa crap. Nothing major. And those dual sport places, they sell those products you.... need?

Best Dual Sport Bikes is a sham in my opinion.

I'm just sitting here pondering over what you said and it just dawned on me, and I also find it interesting that I can't remember hearing or reading any internet/forum banter about the "Best Dual Sport Bikes" products. I have to presume that there must be some talk out there but I have yet to stumble upon any of it. I guess the lack of talk in and of itself is telling.

All you have to do is look at what they sell and you can figure that on your own... snake oil.

+ 1,000     !!

I put a Rekluse on mine just because I like them. Is it a must? No. Many threads on here and ktm talk about eliminating the emissions stuff, 'adjusting' the exhaust, and potential ecu remapping. Good luck with your search and keep us updated.

More then likely I'll  probably be following the emissions and ecu leads. My idea is to convert the bike as much as possible into that of a dual sport bike similar to the BMW GSA. Fitting a larger gas tank, increasing the oil capacity, better seat, and foot pegs are high on the list.

I spent a few years riding my GSA around China and did some dirt bike riding in Laos and loved it. Once I get both bikes (GSA & EXC) I'll be looking to do some extended rides here in North America but, I'll also be looking forward  to ship the bike and plan some trips around Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam. Adventure off road riding in that part of the world is indescribably unbelievable.