Sign in to follow this  

Crash Experiences

I've already shared my most recent a couple times.  Cased a landing, broken collarbone and a couple ribs.  Helmet and neck support saved me from a much worse fate, but it still sucks.  Glad my youngest son was riding, too, and I had my cellphone.

First and only time I've suffered more than a scrape in a wreck.

My most recent digger was at Lake Isabella, CA a few weekends ago going down a rocky section just a little too quickly and caught a rock that sent me over the bars. Both thighs were bruised pretty good the next day and my left ankle was sore as hell, the next day all was well. :thumbsup:

I race Hare Scrambles +50C class.  I was usually mid-pack rider.  One day, 2 years ago, I got the holeshot by virtue of first four guys missing a turn in dust storm.  I lead for the first mile!  A faster guy passed on my right in a wide open filed section as I was sweeping right at full speed, and he hit me from the low side.  I ate dirt, landing on my right elbow.  Dislocated shoulder and torn RC and biceps tendons.

I am back racing again, but I am considerably slower than I used to be, especially in the fast sections.

Riding woods with my dad on my ktm 65 and crashed down this gnarly steep sandy rutted downhill, bouncing off trees the whole way down. That one hurt a little and i was haunted at the thought of that hill for a long time.

Another time on the 65, I was riding in the pasture and fell, a stick went between my goggles and put a hole in the foam at the top of my helmet. That was pretty scary.

Riding the cr250 when i was 14 at my cousins grass track. We had a small single going into a sharp right hander. I dont know how this one happened as it was so quick. But i went down and the bike landed on my leg. I think i grabbed too much front brake. I was sitting there and remember thinking, I need to get this boot off now before this thing swells up and i cant get it off. Cousin pulls up and i made him take it off. He went up to the house to get help, and i rode back in the bed of my uncles truck. Sat there on the couch in pain and i remember being so worried about my gas not being shut off, haha. After a week and a half of pain i finally convinced dad to let me go to the hospital. I remember waking up in the middle of the night screaming in pain, i had a dream that i was shifting my dirt bike (with my right foot :p) and my leg twitched. Man that hurt like hell haha.

During a muddy harescramble on the yz250, i was riding between a creek with a 10 foot drop off and a barbed wire fence. It was all whooped out, well i was in a little too much of a hurry and slid out, heading right for the fence. Luckily the bike took most the damage, the fence slicing half way through the front number plate messed up the shrouds some. I have a couple inch scar on my arm from it. Finished the last lap with a flat front too, didnt realize it until the end since it was so muddy lol.

Senior year i went to Missouri with a riding buddy, the last day there we stopped at a riding area and was hitting this jump on the crf450. I launched it and over-jumped, there was a 2-3 ft berm that i tried to wheelie over, well it kicked the rear end and i went over the bars. Woke up 3-6? Mins later 20 feet from my bike with a concussion and people all around me. That one hurt like a sob. Messed my hip up bad and pretty sure some cracked ribs. Couldnt figure out how to get back to the truck, or my phone password. The hip still gives me trouble today, its not fun.

Tipped the bike over the end of a berm going about 5mph. Rolled, got up, kicked the bike over a few times, then. Bam! The pain hit me. Took off my helmet and made the gf help me get my shirt off. Collar bone was broke and popping out. Never went to the hospital for that one, Should have as i couldnt keep it still during the healing process and messed it up more. It gets some pinched nerves every once and a while.

A few times coming up short on a jump getting the wind knocked out of me.

Hitting trees with my left shoulder used to be my thing during harescrambles also

I love riding<3

• Like 1

"Hitting trees with my left shoulder used to be my thing" 

#1    Hit one at 20mph on the edge of a rocky single track when going way too fast for my tiredness (and ability), sprained fingers wrist and thumb left side, thumb right side, and ligament left shoulder... oh, and nearly knocked myself out... staggered round after getting up like the fool I am :o) Stuff still aches now 14 months later.

Racing long-track sno-x last spring. 
It's sort of like racing a big heavy sport bike in motocross... wrong tool for the job. 
Small step-down, going into a 45° turn, then into a hairpin turn on the side of a hill. 
Overshoot it, blow off the track, won't make that hairpin.
Undershoot it, tail end of the track hits that landing, suspension compresses, then ejects you over the front end of the sled when it rebounds.
The guys on short-track race sleds have a lot less track and tunnel behind them, so that landing zone is a lot more forgiving. 
On a long track, you've gotta hit it just right.
That step-down kept the medics busy all day long. :smirk:

This was the last frame my helmet cam recorded, hit hard enough to bust another visor and reset my camera.  Wasn't out for too long, came to and remember the EMT asking me my race number and where I am. :uhoh
i-MN9WbmZ-L.jpg

This guy also racing in my class busted his ankle in round 1 on the same spot.  Of the 5 racers in longtrack, only 2 made it through finals without injury.  (I cased a double and smashed up my ankle in finals, so I was not one of the two... :()
i-zPtrhm7-L.jpg

• Like 3

The worst i have done was riding in a trial, me and a buddy were racing through it and my back tire caught a rut and I crashed into a rock and ended up bending either the bars or the fork clamps

Racing long-track sno-x last spring. 

It's sort of like racing a big heavy sport bike in motocross... wrong tool for the job. 

Small step-down, going into a 45° turn, then into a hairpin turn on the side of a hill. 

Overshoot it, blow off the track, won't make that hairpin.

Undershoot it, tail end of the track hits that landing, suspension compresses, then ejects you over the front end of the sled when it rebounds.

The guys on short-track race sleds have a lot less track and tunnel behind them, so that landing zone is a lot more forgiving. 

On a long track, you've gotta hit it just right.

That step-down kept the medics busy all day long. :smirk:

This was the last frame my helmet cam recorded, hit hard enough to bust another visor and reset my camera.  Wasn't out for too long, came to and remember the EMT asking me my race number and where I am. :uhoh

i-MN9WbmZ-L.jpg

This guy also racing in my class busted his ankle in round 1 on the same spot.  Of the 5 racers in longtrack, only 2 made it through finals without injury.  (I cased a double and smashed up my ankle in finals, so I was not one of the two... :()

i-zPtrhm7-L.jpg

The shadow on that first pic is absolutely priceless.  Nice shot. :applause:

The other day I had a couple God crashes. One was in a trail near some neighborhoods near me, I was going through at a damn good pace if I could say so myself, then the front tire caught a nice middle of the trail rock and catapulted me a good 7-10 feet. I came to my senses to see an entire framing crew staring at me, I crashed on the only part of the trail that could be seen by a house and it was in front of a working framing crew :lol:.

Later that day my bike stuck wide open and Missed a couple trees by a couple inches, God was that sketchy.

• Like 1

My story is of the "fully commit, or eat sh*t" variety....

After a couple years on street bike (xj600), I decided to try out this dirt thing all my buddies were raving about.

My pals were riding a yz250 and a wr250, I'm saddled up on a klr250 when we arrived at said "hill of doom"... knew trouble was in store, one of those guys had rode this hill before and had serious trouble, but it's a one-way trail, what ya gonna do?

They take turns heading up, first guy goes at a break neck billy goat pace, and barely makes it up...second guy does the same, except managed to loop out at the top whilst trying to avoid a tree (the hill bottlenecks at the top, where this tree resides)

Realizing I should just ask one of them to come and get this bike for me, I make the obvious choice, I pin it to get the best run-up I can and try to find a line....i make it a respectable 3/4 way up this beastly hill (covered in rocks knee high on a steep grade) when I pull the amateurs move and try to paddle myself along....get bound up, and wind up kind of rolling with the bike sideways off the side of a large rock ...I was so convinced I was going to "get this" I never let off the grips until the bike was on top of me.

They grab the bike and wrestle it up the hill, while I wrap a sweaty sock around the busted knuckle (it found a rock, and was pounded by the weight of the bike since I had bar in hand upon landing)..., they made fun of me for wearing hard knuckled street gloves (all I had at time), of course they helped nothing, rock penetrated 1/4 inch to the side of knuckle gard.

Ride out the last 5-6 miles, quite surprised that hand doesn't hurt worse for how much it's bleeding (thank you endorphins)...find out the next morning I fractured the bone (snapped the side off the joint) at the MCP joint (where finger meets hand)

This was how I knew I had to go out and buy a dirtbike...now I'm the proud owner of a CRF250X

• Like 1

I've been pretty lucky, meaning I've probably been over cautious but when you get over the age of 60 I think that just happens naturally.

I've had only mishap and we still laugh about it.

We were out chaining wood for our fireplace. Husband, Lump_tha_thump had left the chain saw at our work site and we had ridden our dirt bikes back and forth from the house in order to get a little ride time in as well as work.

We have one side trail that intersects a wider trail with a sharp left or right turn at the junction. I remember approaching the main trail intending to turn right and somehow misjudged the turn. I didn't have hand guards on the bike yet and if I had it would have saved me from hooking a sapling that put me me flat on my back real fast. Bike stalled out and landed on my right leg. My head was down hill, my shoulders were downhill. I couldn't set up, couldn't get the bike off of me and realized that it had pinned my foot between the peg and another 4 inch tall tree stump.

I laid there for a minute wondering when my husband was going to realize that I wasn't behind him anymore and after a few minutes of shoving at the bike and swearing under my breath, I yelled for him. Still no response.

We always carry in the timber. We have Cougar and some pretty large 'yotes around us. I was able to get to my handgun, a snub nosed 38, and let a round off into a near by tree that was destined to be cut down. Suddenly the absurdity of the situation hit me and when Lump came to my rescue, I was lying on my back laughing my head off. He lifted the bike off of me and I was able to free my foot no worse for the experience.

Lesson learned? Hand guards are good! And riding a small bike is better....shorter distance to the ground.

• Like 1

Was riding on the North shore in Hawaii. Was wearing my camel back, I froze half full the night before. Going down a steep hill I went over the handle bars and landed on my half frozen camel back. I broke a few ribs. Last time I put anything hard in my pack.