Sign in to follow this  

Chain gaurd issue

I have a 2005 KTM 525MXC. I just swapped the rear sproket from a 48t to a 54t. Does anyone make a chain gaurd for this application/

On the back side of the guide, Isn't there a bolt that has different holes so you can adjust your chain guide for bigger rear sprockets?

When you say "Nope."..did you try or just not see an extra hole? Put up a picture. If you are talking lower chain guide, On my KTM I loosened the front bolt and pulled out the back bolt and rotated the guide down about 1/2" and saw another hole on that inside bracket. I put the back bolt in that hole and got my big sprocket to fit.

It is the lower chain gaurd, and there is NO extra hole. It actually uses 3 bolts to hold it on. I tried the aftermarket ones the other guy mentioned, TGM or something like that, they don't make them for my bike. I may have to build a bracket.

Ive put a 53 on the stock guard, it rubs and cuts the plastic in one rideand then is OK. I don't think the 54 would work without some mod to the guard. Also in case you don't know, it is common practice to remove the metal part of the guard and just use the plastic.

Ive put a 53 on the stock guard, it rubs and cuts the plastic in one rideand then is OK. I don't think the 54 would work without some mod to the guard. Also in case you don't know, it is common practice to remove the metal part of the guard and just use the plastic.

Yep. :thumbsup:

So is it a guard or a guide? I think it is a guide since the top part of the chain is getting pulled tight, the bottom has all the slack and this thing guides the sloppy chain onto the rear sprocket. Does it guard your foot from getting in the rear sprocket, probably. Is it in the parts fiche as a guard or guide?

Edited by wielywilly-g