Another Quad choice question.. Please

Just a bit of background first...I am 45 yrs old. I have owned and ridden 125cc -1000cc road bikes, XR650R's  a 3ltr V6 trike with 400bhp etc in my youth, I still ride a Suzuki TL1000s . So I like power. ?

I have never ridden a quad so far. I have a gasgas 280txt pro for the forest behind me. The tracks are wide enough for people,horses and bikes, but very tight for quads. The tracks are almost verticle in places.

I have a couple of hectares of land for the wifes horses. I originaly needed a quad for transporting 200ltr barrels of water and maybe a bail or two of hay each day from the house to the field (300 meters up a hill). Going around the parimeter checking the fences each day , oh and moving car batteries for the elec fence once per week. My legs arnt what they used to be... I cant be arsed to do this by foot anymore, and the land is mostly on a steep hill. We live in the sticks so I will want to go on the roads occasionaly when the snow stops the cars from getting out. Thats the boring bit....

Ok I could go for a 660 Grizzly. But I cant help feeling the urge to get something that will tear up the terrian and jump through the air in my spare time. Also Im sure I could fine a few tracks nearby with some streams to play in.

Budget wise, I am looking at a used machine, to the value of 3200 pounds. I have been looking at the Polaris 4x4 500cc scambler and the can-am renegade 500 amoungst others. Our area is very hilly with large amounts of rock and forest. No real wide open tracks.

Any advice please on choice ?.... Dont say a tractor.... I sold mine today to buy a quad?

I would go with the renegade. It will do what you are asking it to the best out of your options above.

Ok, thats helpful thanks. Does it have high/low gear in 4x4 ? for maybe pulling a small trailer up a grassy hill ?.... just a thought

Ok, thats helpful thanks. Does it have high/low gear in 4x4 ? for maybe pulling a small trailer up a grassy hill ?.... just a thought

It says so. Altho I would doubt you would need the low range. Honestly with a good CVT set up low range isn't very necessary. my old Grizzly hardly ever went into lo range even when pushing vehicles.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/can-am/2014-can-am-renegade-ar162390.html

Edited by ColoradoQuadRacer

It says so. Altho I would doubt you would need the low range. Honestly with a good CVT set up low range isn't very necessary. my old Grizzly hardly ever went into lo range even when pushing vehicles.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/can-am/2014-can-am-renegade-ar162390.html

Ok thanks.

Just to give me an idea ....... my gasgas trials bike can be left out in the rain for months without rusting or corrosion appearing mainly becuase most of it is Aluminum and plastic. Are these quads the same sort of quality (not that I am going to leave it out). I have heard alot of greasing is advised after each outing.

Is the scrambler not 'up to the job' when it comes to pulling weight ?. There is 1000 - 1500 pounds difference in the price .

I must admit I prefer the looks of the Renegade.

Cant seem to find bhp specs of these two models.

No the scrambler will probably pull the load. But reliability in my experience goes to Can Am over Polaris.

wow, that was fast !...

Ok 46hp for the can am. Dont know about the polaris.

Sounds like they could do with a Honda XR650R engine in them. mine was basicly tuned and gave 72bhp

Are there any things that are common that can go wrong with them ?. Or obvious to the eye if there has been lack of maintainance ?

Go with a Yamaha Grizzly.. If you care at all about reliability. Polaris and Can Am can't touch reliability of the Griz, nobody can. Except maybe a Honda Rancher, but he Griz is a better machine. Fully locking front diff, just like lockers on your truck. If you're actually going to work this thing you'll need that

Not too worried about reliability unless it was Chinese.   My kids have 110cc pit bikes that are abused and left out in the rain. Rusy as hell, but still tear around.

Most of where I will be going (apart from my small amount of land) is tight and steep forest , in fact I cant remember many flat areas.

Edited by dudz

Going out to see a Can am Renegade 500 on Sunday .  11000kms on a 2008 model. I think it was mostly used for road use as a "going to work" vehicle rather than an off road vehicle.

I think I would prefer the 800cc model, but they are 2 - 3 thousand euros more than the 500s here in France for that year.

Do the 500s have enough low grunt for hill climbs and scrambling ?(if i get the chance) or do they lack power ?.  I have only ever used 5 peed manual gear boxes on bikes. Never rode anything semi auto before. Maybe these engines are easily tunable to get another 20 horses out ???

Edited by dudz

• 1 month later...

I bought the Renegade 500. I have put a Dalton Seconary spring in it. I have changed the front diff mainshaft seal (but still weeps). Also changed the rear pads. Put tow bar on it.

It has done alot of miles. But very clean and looks well looked after.

I have pulled a trailer with water/hey loaded..... works fine.

Tires need replacing soon. But I shant bother until they are bold.

Good fun, but I am limited to where I can take it, cus most of the trails are 2 ft wide. 

Man it drinks fuel.

Would like some full width bars on the front, so I can bulldoze my own trails though bush and brambles. Its fun, but not as fun as the trials bike. But I am adicted. thanks for all your advice !!

Edited by dudz