Winterize a fuel injected bike?

This will be the first winter for my fuel injected KTM. All my other bikes have carbs. I usually just run them with the gas off till they die to empty the bowl for winter.

I don't think I should do that on the KTM, can you? Maybe some kind of additive and run that into the fuel pump and injector?

You were lucky with your carb bikes that you did not still have problems. Running the bike until it stalls from lack mof fuel still left the carb about 1/2 full.

• Buy non-ethanol pump fuel
  • Add fuel stabilizer
  • Drain your fuel tank
  • Fill with the new stabilized fuel.
  • Run the bike for a few minutes.
  • Let cool
  • Top off the tank
  • Winterize the rest of the bike.

Umm.... Keep riding it????? Winter is the time to ride around here

Umm.... Keep riding it????? Winter is the time to ride around here

Umm.... Where are you from?????

I have made ice tires and ride my dirt bike all winter. Not going to do that with the new KTM 690.

Draining the tank could be fun, I can't even find the petcock. The tank is under the rear fender.

+1 on what William said ^^^

I have made ice tires and ride my dirt bike all winter. Not going to do that with the new KTM 690.

Draining the tank could be fun, I can't even find the petcock. The tank is under the rear fender.

If you cannot drain the tank, then top off, add the correct amount of stabilizer to the tank, shake the bike a little, ride and top off with more fresh fuel.

Umm.... Oregon, and you did not specify what kind of ktm so there ya go, and yes I do ride on the street when it's below freezing fun? No but hey sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do

Top off the take add some stabilizer, put on a battery tinder. Then once a week start it up let it run until it gets warm then repeat this process until it warms up. I wouldn't drain the tank because there will be warm days in the middle of winter that you wish it wasn't a pain to get the bike out.

Umm.... Oregon, and you did not specify what kind of ktm so there ya go, and yes I do ride on the street when it's below freezing fun? No but hey sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do

I make it a point to ride each bike at least 1/2 hour at least once a month. No issues ever.

Arizona, but don't laugh too hard. 7000' and 100" of snow in average year. Admit we don't get the bitter cold though.

Mike

I just finished these ice tires using 1/4-20 bolts out of each knob. Should be interesting, if not thrilling. I am not sure they are DOT approved though..LOL.

I own 6 12V interstate battery tenders and 1 6V tender they are all spoken for so by various other tractors and motorcycles. I will have to get another for the KTM. I run Klotz octane booster in the Kaw, so that may be a good additive for winter.

icetires.jpg

Edited by wielywilly-g

Go buy yourself a 5 gallon pale of VP C9.  It is high quality ethanol free, unleaded, non-oxygenated fuel that has a shelf life of 2 years in a sealed VP container.  Fill your tank with that and run it for a while then put it away.  It will still be good in the spring.