Sign in to follow this  

Activity after clavicle ORIF

I had a nonunion clavicle fx repaired 6 weeks ago today - only advice for activity limits I could wheedle out of ortho was "take it easy, don't lift anything more than 5lbs, and come back in 3 months".  Dr. Mark, what do you think? When I can I ride / workout? I don't want to break it but 3 more months of nothing will make me crazy! (and even more out of shape) 

Background is - fx in 2004, healed solid but with a lump, fx again 5/2013, nonunion, no help from bone stimulator, repaired with stainless steel plate 6 weeks ago (8/2014). No bone grafts. 

Xray is attached! 

Huge thanks for any advice....

IMG_20141007_131529831.jpg

This information must be obtained from your doctor, not those of us here in the peanut gallery.

I would imagine that your physician will monitor this with xrays every couple of weeks. Are you scheduled to see the physician again before the 3 month mark? When I had my distal radius ORIF I had to have xrays every couple of weeks until he was confident with how it was healing. Then if I remember correctly it was monthly xrays until cleared to return to my normal activities. My surgery was in early January 2010 and I do not think I was cleared to ride or do as I pleased until May of 2010. I would follow all directions from the physician about activity, he/she knows best.

I had a nonunion clavicle fx repaired 6 weeks ago today - only advice for activity limits I could wheedle out of ortho was "take it easy, don't lift anything more than 5lbs, and come back in 3 months". Dr. Mark, what do you think? When I can I ride / workout? I don't want to break it but 3 more months of nothing will make me crazy! (and even more out of shape)

Background is - fx in 2004, healed solid but with a lump, fx again 5/2013, nonunion, no help from bone stimulator, repaired with stainless steel plate 6 weeks ago (8/2014). No bone grafts.

Xray is attached!

Huge thanks for any advice....

stationary biking is a method of cardio you can do. It's boring but it will help.