Sign in to follow this  

Any body have a Jeep JK? Looking for suspension advice

I know, super off topic but I want to use my jeep as my dirt bike hauler.  I'm thinking of grabbing a hitch and a hitch rack to hold my bike.  The only thing holding me back is the suspension in stock form is brutal in off road situations.  I should explain that a bit, I have a '13 JK 2dr sport.  I added some larger tires, just under 33" in diameter. Jeep runs great and on the highway there is no complaints but as soon as I go offroad the suspension is really harsh and quite a bit unsafe.  I live in BC and drive on FSR roads to get to the trails, whenever I hit a rough spot or washboard the suspension just slams really hard and the back end just hops all over the place.  One time i got nearly sideways right next to a really step cliff.   I can crawl without problem, but I don't want to go 10km an hour down a FSR.  For comparison my stock Dodge Ram 1500 can handle the same roads with absolute ease and comfort.

I'm thinking I need a lift, maybe 2 to 3 inches total with better springs and shocks, to try and get more suspension travel. The big question is which one?  My budget is very limited unforturnately so I'm looking for the best ride comfort on the gravel roads and not necessarily the best for rock crawling which is something I never do.  I'm willing to give up some on road comfort for better off road comfort if necessary.

I've been using google to try figure this out but haven't been able to find a lot of information on the newer models and almost never find any first hand knowledge of what the ride is like on gravel roads after the upgrade. 

So any suggestions? 

I recently installed a Rubicon Express RE7141 kit on my dads JK. I have a Rubicon Express kit on my 89 Wagoneer and I like it so that is the reason why he choose that kit. His kit works great but it is not the cheapest there is.

For what you are looking for, any kit will do that comes with new springs will do judt fine. You most likely will not notice a difference in ride between any two kits. I believe the Rusty's kit was the cheapest when he was looking but don't quote me on that.

I recently installed a Rubicon Express RE7141 kit on my dads JK. I have a Rubicon Express kit on my 89 Wagoneer and I like it so that is the reason why he choose that kit. His kit works great but it is not the cheapest there is.

For what you are looking for, any kit will do that comes with new springs will do judt fine. You most likely will not notice a difference in ride between any two kits. I believe the Rusty's kit was the cheapest when he was looking but don't quote me on that.

On your dad's jk what was performance on gravel roads like after the upgrade? 

Most definately better than bone stock. On gravel roads, ride quality depends on several other factors as well as suspension springs like tire size, air pressure, quality of shocks, worn out components, ect. On my wagoneer, I run 28 psi and it is smoooth over gravels roads. If I run 35 psi, then the ride is a lot harsher. My dads JK was only 8 months old and had only 1100 driving miles (he towes it behind his RV) on it when I installed the kit so all the bushings and grommets and whatnot were still new. His jeep runs good for the budget kit that it is.

2010 Sport, I put the springs and shocks from a Rubicon JKU under mine for less than $150.00. Made a world of diference and gave me a little less than a 2" lift. Just keep an eye on the jeep forums or craigslist for someone selling their stock parts. The key to the stiffness is the part number on the springs, there are plenty of articles online explaining which springs to get. The shocks are all the same on the Rubicons.

Also, you can drop your tire pressure 5-10psi and you jeep will perform a ton better on washboard roads, thats free.

Edited by mdsnitc

Go to allpar.com and PM MoparNorm.  Special Jeep suspensions are a huge part of what he does for a living.  Tell him your problem and your budget and see what he says.  BTW, there are a number of Canadian members on that site.

Edited by BSAVictor

While a suspension kit will help it's the lack of wheelbase that's makin for such a harsh ride... A pickup has a much longer wheelbase so it'll be a smoother ride since its a 2dr jeep there's like 2 ft between the wheels lol

I know, super off topic but I want to use my jeep as my dirt bike hauler. I'm thinking of grabbing a hitch and a hitch rack to hold my bike. The only thing holding me back is the suspension in stock form is brutal in off road situations. I should explain that a bit, I have a '13 JK 2dr sport. I added some larger tires, just under 33" in diameter. Jeep runs great and on the highway there is no complaints but as soon as I go offroad the suspension is really harsh and quite a bit unsafe. I live in BC and drive on FSR roads to get to the trails, whenever I hit a rough spot or washboard the suspension just slams really hard and the back end just hops all over the place. One time i got nearly sideways right next to a really step cliff. I can crawl without problem, but I don't want to go 10km an hour down a FSR. For comparison my stock Dodge Ram 1500 can handle the same roads with absolute ease and comfort.

I'm thinking I need a lift, maybe 2 to 3 inches total with better springs and shocks, to try and get more suspension travel. The big question is which one? My budget is very limited unforturnately so I'm looking for the best ride comfort on the gravel roads and not necessarily the best for rock crawling which is something I never do. I'm willing to give up some on road comfort for better off road comfort if necessary.

I've been using google to try figure this out but haven't been able to find a lot of information on the newer models and almost never find any first hand knowledge of what the ride is like on gravel roads after the upgrade.

So any suggestions?

Yep.. join Wrangler Forums... http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jk-tech-common-questions-here-475185.html

I own a 2013 JKUR 10th Anniversary model. It has the tallest factory lift of all JK's built between 2007-2015. I can provide PNs to get you what you need for a factory lift. However, your best bet is to contact kjeeper10 on Wrangler Forums... he's a WF moderator and is a suspension expert.

If you need some general advice, I can offer some suggestions that will point you in the right direction.

Edited by C6 DNA

A short vehicle with a straight axle is always gonna ride like crap. 

Get a zone lift, a set of 35's and call it a day. The extra sidewall will help, you'll gain a ton of performance and clearance but it will look great without being too big to drive every day. Rough country lifts are okay for cheap but there is better stuff out there for sure (and it all costs more).

Stay away from coil spacer lifts or leveling kits. They're cheap but they take away any quality of ride you did have 

I know, super off topic but I want to use my jeep as my dirt bike hauler. I'm thinking of grabbing a hitch and a hitch rack to hold my bike. The only thing holding me back is the suspension in stock form is brutal in off road situations. I should explain that a bit, I have a '13 JK 2dr sport. I added some larger tires, just under 33" in diameter. Jeep runs great and on the highway there is no complaints but as soon as I go offroad the suspension is really harsh and quite a bit unsafe. I live in BC and drive on FSR roads to get to the trails, whenever I hit a rough spot or washboard the suspension just slams really hard and the back end just hops all over the place. One time i got nearly sideways right next to a really step cliff. I can crawl without problem, but I don't want to go 10km an hour down a FSR. For comparison my stock Dodge Ram 1500 can handle the same roads with absolute ease and comfort.

I'm thinking I need a lift, maybe 2 to 3 inches total with better springs and shocks, to try and get more suspension travel. The big question is which one? My budget is very limited unforturnately so I'm looking for the best ride comfort on the gravel roads and not necessarily the best for rock crawling which is something I never do. I'm willing to give up some on road comfort for better off road comfort if necessary.

So any suggestions?

Ok.. I see you're getting various inputs on lifts. Personally if I was in your situation, since you just bought 33" tires, buy a Rancho 2" lift kit with RS9000XL shocks. You can adjust them for hauling or street use. This is your best bet. All other lifts beyond 2.5-3" will require you change out the control arms. 2.5" is max before you start running into other potential issues you DON'T want to deal with. Not to mention you will be buying 35" tires to fill out the wheel wells. That will cost you even more money because to run 35" tires you'll need wheel spacers.

Stick with a simple 2" like Rancho and you can't go wrong.. they have a robust technical support group and they are owned by Monroe. You can upgrade the Rancho to a taller lift later when you have more money to install 35" tires.

This will be the minimum and you'll be able to tow with your 2door JK. Plus you will be able to install it yourself with zero problems.

Any other lift and you run the risk of installing more than the advertised lift.. like Rubicon Express. A good lift, but a 2" advertised lift is more than 2".. trust me, I have one on my other Jeep.

Here's a link...

http://www.gorancho.com/suspension.php?make=Jeep&model=07_13_jeep_jk#lift

Edited by C6 DNA

I know trucks and jeeps are apples to oranges but on my dodge I swapped out the new good condition stock shocks for a nice set of bilsteins for about $300 and it felt like a completely new truck just a thought if you were on a budget some of those smaller lift "kits' come with pretty crappy shocks