Gas Gas EC300 Racing 2015 v Beta 300RR 2015

Hi guys.

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I'm looking at buying either the Gas Gas EC300 Racing 2015 or the Beta 300RR 2015.

I've heard good reports about the Gasser, but I know the 2014 electric start wasn't reliable. All of the Gas Gas release literature for the 2015 models say that a load of R&D has gone into the new electric start for 2015, but I can't find any user's feedback. These bikes have been available for a good few months so is there anyone with first hand experience of the 2015 models? Have they sorted the electric start? What's the rest of the bike like?

I've read the reviews for the Beta and the general consensus is that it's a great bike, arguably the best out there at everything except for the suspension's settings off the shelf, but I've also been told by a main dealer that these bikes are set up for a 12 stone 7lb (175lbs / 80kgs) person so I'd have to get some fat lad springs fitted because I'm 15 stone (210lbs / 95kgs). This should solve any suspension problems once it's set up correctly right? Is this bike really as capable as the reviews say?

I'm being drawn towards the Gasser because it's got a load of tricked out "racing" parts and is cheaper than the Beta, but the electric start would seriously frustrate me if it didn't work properly and I'd have to re-spring the suspension on her too, but surely the "racing" model (even though this is now the standard model) is better than the standard Beta RR model?

Any thoughts, opinions and advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Did you try to post this question over on gasgasrider.org since you have no replies here.

I vote for the Beta. I had a txt 200 trials bike a few years ago and getting parts was hopeless. Now with GasGas money problems again,you couldn't pay me to own one of their bikes

I probable wouldn't buy a Gas Gas enduro bike...as already mentioned, they're having some pretty big money issues right now. On top of that, I heard the enduro importers for Gas Gas have always been pretty sketchy as far as parts availability.

Did you try to post this question over on gasgasrider.org since you have no replies here.

So you're going to go to a GasGas specific forum to get opinions on what would be the better choice? Sounds like a terrible idea. 

Well the gasgas forum can likely give better feedback . First I heard of sketchy importers. ( Gasgas has a new importer now anyways )As far as taking advise from a owner of a 200 txt years ago, lets get specific , are we talking comparing an era before beta enduros were even being made has bearing on comparing the two bikes now?

Well the TXT is a trials bike for starters. It was about 10years old at the time and getting parts was very painful to say the least. I can get parts for my 38 year old Yamaha TY better than the gas gas. As for the importer there are 2 now in Canada one for eastern and 1 for western. As for getting the parts the western importer / the only importer at the time just couldn't get the parts from the factory in Spain. I am not comparing the bikes I am just saying that in my opinion I would not buy the gas gas for that reason alone. The importer in western Canada does a lot for the sport on the island and I do support him just not his products. I buy most of my tires from him. I will not buy a bike I am sorry to say. Also the post asked what buy to buy so I gave my opinion. If I was buying a new bike this year the Beta is the bike to beat for 2015. I ride a berg but I can still get parts at the moment thanks KTM

As for bad mouthing the importer it was not me. If you read the next post that guy is from California not BC so we have different importer's I would think

Hi guys.

This is my first post so please be gentle.

I'm looking at buying either the Gas Gas EC300 Racing 2015 or the Beta 300RR 2015.

I've heard good reports about the Gasser, but I know the 2014 electric start wasn't reliable. All of the Gas Gas release literature for the 2015 models say that a load of R&D has gone into the new electric start for 2015, but I can't find any user's feedback. These bikes have been available for a good few months so is there anyone with first hand experience of the 2015 models? Have they sorted the electric start? What's the rest of the bike like?

I've read the reviews for the Beta and the general consensus is that it's a great bike, arguably the best out there at everything except for the suspension's settings off the shelf, but I've also been told by a main dealer that these bikes are set up for a 12 stone 7lb (175lbs / 80kgs) person so I'd have to get some fat lad springs fitted because I'm 15 stone (210lbs / 95kgs). This should solve any suspension problems once it's set up correctly right? Is this bike really as capable as the reviews say?

I'm being drawn towards the Gasser because it's got a load of tricked out "racing" parts and is cheaper than the Beta, but the electric start would seriously frustrate me if it didn't work properly and I'd have to re-spring the suspension on her too, but surely the "racing" model (even though this is now the standard model) is better than the standard Beta RR model?

Any thoughts, opinions and advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I would steer away from the Gasser bc of the company's bankruptcy issues..

I was looking at this same issue last summer, between the 2015 GasGas, KTM 300XC and Beta 300s. I discounted KTM due to tall seat height and starter design, GasGas from those same problems and the fact that it's a failing company. I plan to keep the bike for a long time and I want to be able to get the parts I need to keep it top notch.

I took a look at the Beta's direct drive oil bath starter, screw-adjustable powervalve and large cooling capacity. The seat height is the lowest in class at 36 3/4", easily lowered even more with Fastway's wonderful skidplate link. Added to that is that when the 300RR came out in 2013 it won Dirt Rider's bike of the year and has been improved in a few small ways since then, mostly in the area of suspension valving and cylinder porting for improved bottom end power.

I bought the Beta, the full catalog of aftermarket guards and add ons (which is an impressive array) and have been riding the hell out of it. It's a wonderful bike, capable of anything I can throw at it and haven't had a single problem.

I feel sorry for the guys who bought a new GasGas. The factory is shut down now for both new bikes and support parts. I have no doubt that it will resurface but now is not the time to be buying GasGas.

I just bought a left over 2014 Gas Gas 300 and I can say it is the best bike I have ever thrown a leg over.  I have owned a YZ250, KDX200, Husky 310R and rode many others.  I was originally looking at the Husky TE300, Beta 300, and Gas 300.  The Gas dealers were offering amazing incentives on left over 2014's.  I picked mine up for $5900 shipped to my door.  The Husky and Beta were both over $8k.  So the $2500+ in savings swayed me over to the Gas Gas, but in all honesty I was leaning in that direction anyway.  I got a kick only, since it is a 2 stroke and they are much easier to start.  I would not however buy a kick only 4 stroke, that would be a nightmare.  Once warmed, my Gas starts on the 1st or 2nd kick all day long and I get some weight savings.

I bought mine just before their financial announcement.  But still saving over $2500 gives me a lot of money for parts and maintenance over the years.  Also, there are MANY crossover parts as Gas Gas uses lots of pieces of exiting bikes.  I bought a 50 tooth Husky rear sprocket and Suzuki carb needles.  There are many crossover parts as long as you search the internet and find what year part fits what Gas Gas.

The bikes motor and turning ability are second to none (in my opinion).  Much better than my YZ or Italian Husky.  But unless I was getting a good deal on one, with the current financial situation, I would tread cautiously.  If you can find one at a good discount (they are out there), it may be worth it, but the safe bet would be to buy a Beta or KTM/Husky.

But I can tell you that the late model Gas Gas 14-15 is one hell of a great bike with much aftermarket bling right from the factory and she is a LOOKER!!

MattGasGas300_zps88878600.jpg