Brand New 2014 KTM 250 SX............

Well I just purchased a new 2014 250 SX and it was a difficult decision vs buying a new YZ.  But one test ride and pulling the wire tight on 50 horsepower made my mind up. Plus it is so slender in the middle compared to a YZ. A new YZ just cannot keep up with this rocket. The WP fork is stiff but I will adjust Comp/rebound before swapping springs. The motor really is just too damn good to pass up and after I swap out rear sprocket it gear it down it should be great for dead engine holeshots as it fires iinstantly. My question is to other riders who have made the switch to a new SX or XC what changes they made to make it more like the " fits like an old shoe " feeling of the YZ250. The power to weight ratio on this bike is better then many 1200cc street/ sport bikes and is wicked fast and I have read that a PC pipe adds 5 hp on top ( although I do not usually buy pipes, if this one gets dented down the road I will pick up a total PC system.

Gearing, a CF pipe guard, and a ProMoto kickstand, and of course barkbusters are already on order.

Edited by SeaBolt1

Congrats!

I've also been spending more time on my brothers 07' CR250 and it also makes the YZ feel gutless on top. YZ is a better SX and trail bike, but it's got nothing on a case reed motor on a MX track.

Dial in the suspension and forget about old blue.

Sinners what's with all this blasphemy talk red and orange are the colors of the devil. ThoUT shall repent from wp suspension and twin spar frames.

Phhhhsssst, coming YZ forum and talking about a KTM...... Sorry, Ill take compliant suspension and that good ol fashion worn glove feel over A KTM 2t anyday. Sorry OP, you will never get used to the WP stuff, try as you might! 

I really liked my SX after installing a 9oz flywheel weight. That and a Pro Circuit pipe and shorty silencer , and a Rekluse, makes for a unstoppable, fun bike.

Not really sure as to what this talk is about as I have a 2014 yz250 for 3 months that has not even been ridden, but I'm gonna side with these yz guys.

Sinners what's with all this blasphemy talk red and orange are the colors of the devil. ThoUT shall repent from wp suspension and twin spar frames.

To the OP, you may be able to find more information about your new bike (and like-minded people) here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/78-ktm-2-stroke/

Enjoy your pun'kin!

Got a good laugh out of those.....

Just don't forget to mix the gas.......and don't let the forum door hit you in the ass on your way to the Katoom pages.

Disloyal people.......geez

Well I just purchased a new 2014 250 SX and it was a difficult decision vs buying a new YZ.  But one test ride and pulling the wire tight on 50 horsepower made my mind up. Plus it is so slender in the middle compared to a YZ. A new YZ just cannot keep up with this rocket. The WP fork is stiff but I will adjust Comp/rebound before swapping springs. The motor really is just too damn good to pass up and after I swap out rear sprocket it gear it down it should be great for dead engine holeshots as it fires iinstantly. My question is to other riders who have made the switch to a new SX or XC what changes they made to make it more like the " fits like an old shoe " feeling of the YZ250. The power to weight ratio on this bike is better then many 1200cc street/ sport bikes and is wicked fast and I have read that a PC pipe adds 5 hp on top ( although I do not usually buy pipes, if this one gets dented down the road I will pick up a total PC system.

Gearing, a CF pipe guard, and a ProMoto kickstand, and of course barkbusters are already on order.

Most of the time it involves your eventual sale of the KTM and purchase of a YZ. :)

I'm a bettin' man, so I'll put my money on his return within 9 months time!

Power is nothing without handling/suspension!

Congrats!

I've also been spending more time on my brothers 07' CR250 and it also makes the YZ feel gutless on top. YZ is a better SX and trail bike, but it's got nothing on a case reed motor on a MX track.

Dial in the suspension and forget about old blue.

My buddy has the same bike and it does not come anywhere close to my 11 with goodies. I'm not biased on bikes either. I've owned them all. Edited by Tony211

KTM makes good bikes and we should probably thank them for offering such good competition. Would Yamaha even offer the YZ250/125 if they weren't concerned about KTM taking sales away?

My buddy has the same bike and it does not come anywhere close to my 11 with goodies. I'm not biased on bikes either. I've owned them all.

I'm talking top-end only...The YZ is a beast in the woods but not enough over-rev for Moto. At least not at an A-B Level.

My YZ has the squish set to 0.050" and a DEP Pipe. The CR is stock.

Suspension is close between the two. Showa Twin Chambers are good too. YZ rear shock may be a little better.

To the OP, I can't criticize you for wanting to try a KTM. I am pretty much a Yami guy but if I was dropping new bike money on a new 2stroke, I would for sure give the KTM a good look. Their constant development is interesting to me and I am not gonna say anything bad to anyone who wants to try one out. But at the same time, realistically the YZ is a good enough bike for anyone who wants a competitive 2 stroke, especially with the suspension and aftermarket support. The bike can pretty much be tweaked into anything a rider would be looking for. To each their own. And Woodzi makes a great point.

My opinion is that the YZ250 in it's current state is only good for 2 things. 1. Convert to a Woods bike and 2. For slower riders on a MX track.

The YZ is completely uncompetitive with a 14' KTM in terms of Motocross. Motor is virtual unchanged since 99' and the frame since 2005.

KYB SSS suspension is still top notch stuff. I'm even thinking of switching the forks from my 06' YZ onto my 13' CRF450.

Im pretty much owning the Hare Scrambes on my YZ against the KTMs, must be the rider...went 3 for 3 weekend before last, all 1st place!

There were no 50hp orange bikes in front of me, lol.  But many in tow.

The KTM does have a nice motor with the case induction...but they are still all behind me for some reason.  Maybe their clickers are off?

Brand loyalty is for suckers.  

That being said, I've owned a slew of KTM 2 strokes up to 2008, then switched to a YZ.  I used to get tired of my KTM even after spending gobs of money trying to sort out the suspension, sell it, and buy newer one hoping it would be better.  It never was.  I've had my YZ longer than any one of my KTM's and have no desire to get rid of it for something better.  I have a buddy with a 2013 350XCF, his suspension is good for KTM, but not even close to the SSS suspension.  If KTM would get the some suspension that could compete with KYB I'd be in the market for one.  I would consider having a KTM 4T as a 2nd bike, but for now nothing beats the YZ.

OK, ok I got an idea, a 2014 KTM 250 with late model YZ suspension.....hmmmm

I'm talking top-end only...The YZ is a beast in the woods but not enough over-rev for Moto. At least not at an A-B Level.

My YZ has the squish set to 0.050" and a DEP Pipe. The CR is stock.

Suspension is close between the two. Showa Twin Chambers are good too. YZ rear shock may be a little better.

My head is cut 0.025, cylinder ported, rad valve, PC platinum 2 and FMF Shorty. Even up top my bike still makes ridiculous amounts of power. I pull so many bike lengths off those Hondas it's sad. I run c12 or u4.4.

Now to keep on the original topic..

I've rode them and chose my Yamaha. They do keep getting some nice updates. 2015 are very nice.

Edited by Tony211

Since most of us are using our YZ's to do more than just motocross, it might be better to compare to the 250 XC. Now the YZ is faster, lighter, has much better suspension and way less expensive. The only things we give up to an XC are electric starting (advantage YZ, in my opinion), a kickstand and a large fuel tank (and maybe the brakes). All easily fixed.