2002 YZ125 Kickstart Shaft Help

Hey all,

I have a pretty serious issue going on.  It all started when the kick starter would go past the spot where it would normally stop and hit against the case.  Also, it would not disengage so you could feel the gear inside the case spinning if you held onto the kick starter.  Long story short, I had to replace the shaft because the stopper on the inside was cracked and was slipping on the splines of the shaft.  I removed clutch and basket, water pump cover, and the rest of the side case to get to the shaft.  After assembling/disassembling about 6 times, I got it right.  The kick starter wouldn't return to the top and was stuck at the bottom, and i think the spring kept popping out of its spot.  Well, I got it all back together.  It started up and now makes a grinding noise as it starts and runs.  I have no idea what it is.  Any ideas?  I have had nothing but issues and the bike is getting sold after this is resolved, so I need to get it fixed.  

The kicker here, its not even my bike.  Its my brothers.  I've replaced the top end, float needle, cleaned power valve, and I think I did front fork seals and wheel bearings, greased steering stem bearings, and who knows what the hell else.  This has been an on off project since this happened in March or April. Its not that I'm not mechanically inclined or don't know what I am doing.  I have no clue what is the issue.  Hopefully you guys can keep my hair from going grey and falling out!

Bump... Can anybody help me with this?

Mmmmm I think i've seen it. Did you use the same spring?

If the kickstart shaft spacer, spring and washer are not correctly installed OR if the spring got deformed due the broken shaft dents moved off the shaft and made the spring work in a non standard position, maybe the spring is rubbing the clutch basket external wall.

Check for metallic particles in your oil, get the engine case off and check the basket case for markings.

Not that you'll need a new clutch basket, but better avoid that kind of wearing off on parts. Plus metallic particles in the engine are not a good idea.

Mmmmm I think i've seen it. Did you use the same spring?

If the kickstart shaft spacer, spring and washer are not correctly installed OR if the spring got deformed due the broken shaft dents moved off the shaft and made the spring work in a non standard position, maybe the spring is rubbing the clutch basket external wall.

Check for metallic particles in your oil, get the engine case off and check the basket case for markings.

Not that you'll need a new clutch basket, but better avoid that kind of wearing off on parts. Plus metallic particles in the engine are not a good idea.

Yeah it is the same spring.  Oil checks out okay.  Ill try and be more specific.  It sounds as if though the gear is not completely disengaging.  As for the spring touching the clutch basket, I highly doubt that this is what is making the noise. Is it possible that oil just needs to get up on these parts?  When I assembled it, I did not oil anything,  I just filled the case up with the proper amount of oil.  Hopefully that helps you all