Sign in to follow this  

Oil leaking out snorkel

Searched for an answer to this question but I haven't had much luck.

I have oil leaking out of the snorkel near the rear tire hugger and it's getting annoying because it leaks out on to the chain and flings it everywhere: on me, underneath the bike, and all over the hugger.

Your first question: "Are you using the correct amount of oil? It is a dry sump system"

Yes, I measure out 1.8qts every time I change the oil and change it every 1,500 miles missing 1qt every time since I've had it in March.

Your second question: "Are you draining the frame too?"

Yes, everything is drained completely and I still only wind up with 1qt of oil, give or take.

So what cold the issue be? It's not really a problem but rather an annoyance of having to clean the rear hugger and all along the left side of the swing arm every week.

I appreciate all responses,

Bloc

do you still have the oil breather box fitted or has a PO removed it and vented it to the airbox?

• Like 1

The oil vapor collector is a black plastic box on the right hand side of motor just behind the cam chain tensioner that has some ~.5" diameter hoses going into and out of it. 

That happened to me before exact same spot..I found out later Im soaking the air filter too much

and the oil is dripping slowly to the swing arm ..just one place to check maybe yours is a diff. case!

Hope you find it soon! :thumbsup:

The oil vapor collector is a black plastic box on the right hand side of motor just behind the cam chain tensioner that has some ~.5" diameter hoses going into and out of it.

Sorry, I'm only able to be online as much as work and school permit. I just went and checked near my cam chain tensioner and didn't see any black box ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1413217741.211307.jpg

That's the problem. You need to make one or buy a new one. It probably cracked in a crash and was removed

Alright. And how difficult would it be to install it? I have a limited mechanical ability but I can get things done.

Another ruined for racing set up fails the new owner.

As pointed out  your loosing oil into the air box because some misguided PO removed the breather oil vapor recovery system.. You will need the two hoses, the box itself and the screw that mounts it to the frame.  

Removing the subframe (or pivoting it up ) and air box is the easiest way to install (or remove) the oil vapory recovery box. 

Another ruined for racing set up fails the new owner.

As pointed out  your loosing oil into the air box because some misguided PO removed the breather oil vapor recovery system.. You will need the two hoses, the box itself and the screw that mounts it to the frame.  

Removing the subframe (or pivoting it up ) and air box is the easiest way to install (or remove) the oil vapory recovery box. 

Ahh, so that's the potential "gain" here.

I just ordered the box, I have some fuel hose laying around in the garage if that'll work, and I still need those bolts. Didn't know I would need to remove the whole air box itself to install this small part.

Thanks for the advice!

Ahh, so that's the potential "gain" here.

I just ordered the box, I have some fuel hose laying around in the garage if that'll work, and I still need those bolts. Didn't know I would need to remove the whole air box itself to install this small part.

Thanks for the advice!

The perceived gain is less "clutter" 

The result most all find is, spewing oil.

A few have claimed no oil recovery system nervana,,saying their simple plastic or brass T, hose clamps and some rubber line accomplishes that which so many others failed at..and the OEM system does so well at.. recovering oil vapor, coalescing it to liquid and returning it to the motor. 

But hey some claim they can do 130 on a stock DRZ400, get 95 MPG and their DRZ weights only 183 pounds wet, with rider, and 80 lb of gear .. So I'll go with what has been proven out more times than not... the DRZ motor design needs an oil vapor recovery system for the crankcase.

The perceived gain is less "clutter"

The result most all find is, spewing oil.

A few have claimed no oil recovery system nervana,,saying their simple plastic or brass T, hose clamps and some rubber line accomplishes that which so many others failed at..and the OEM system does so well at.. recovering oil vapor, coalescing it to liquid and returning it to the motor.

But hey some claim they can do 130 on a stock DRZ400, get 95 MPG and their DRZ weights only 183 pounds wet, with rider, and 80 lb of gear .. So I'll go with what has been proven out more times than not... the DRZ motor design needs an oil vapor recovery system for the crankcase.

Haha. Those are definitely some claims. I'm just gonna stick to OEM and call it a day. I'm tired of all this oil. I've seriously just given up on cleaning the swing arm since I'll just have to clean it a day later.

So after the installation of the OEM box, I should no longer be having ANY oil leak out of the snorkel?

Haha. Those are definitely some claims. I'm just gonna stick to OEM and call it a day. I'm tired of all this oil. I've seriously just given up on cleaning the swing arm since I'll just have to clean it a day later.

So after the installation of the OEM box, I should no longer be having ANY oil leak out of the snorkel?

Assuming you have correctly diagnosed the issue..yes ..lack of a oil recovery system is at least part of the issue for sure... and I would be surprised if it does not solve your concern.

I just noticed you plan on using some "fuel" line to plumb the box..  Please make sure you can do that with no kninks in the hose..The preformed hose might be a better option...and should be available cheaply in the used market.

Assuming you have correctly diagnosed the issue..yes ..lack of a oil recovery system is at least part of the issue for sure... and I would be surprised if it does not solve your concern.

I just noticed you plan on using some "fuel" line to plumb the box.. Please make sure you can do that with no kninks in the hose..The preformed hose might be a better option...and should be available cheaply in the used market.

Perfect. Alright. I can go get some when the box comes in. I really appreciate you help, thanks a lot!