Sign in to follow this  

What do you like about your dirtbike

I'm looking for a newer used offroad bike.  There are not a ton of options.  As a winter discussion, what bike do you own and what do you like about it. 

I own a 2003 Gas Gas EC250.  The power is fun for trail riding, but for woods racing it has too much power for my ability.  I really like the power on my 2001 WR250F but it doesn't turn as nice as the Gas Gas.  Parts are also really easy to find for a Japanese bike.

yz250.

oem parts are plentiful.

aftermarket parts and tuning knowledge

reliability

light weight and 'feels' light compared to 250f/450

good balance of stability and handling

power delivery is good, can tune for low end but not really top end power (compared to a cr250)

fun fun fun

yz250.

oem parts are plentiful.

aftermarket parts and tuning knowledge

reliability

light weight and 'feels' light compared to 250f/450

good balance of stability and handling

power delivery is good, can tune for low end but not really top end power (compared to a cr250)

fun fun fun

Do you ride any tight single track?   The YZ250's I've rode have been really difficult to control the throttle at low speed.  I've never tried one with the aluminum frame.

Do you ride any tight single track?   The YZ250's I've rode have been really difficult to control the throttle at low speed.  I've never tried one with the aluminum frame.

ya, I prefer tight stuff. i would guess it was their gearing or just not being used to the bike.

I have an 06' 300 xc-w with a lot of mods. 

I ride the rocky mountain 4x4 trails and some tight single track.  Weight is just manageable for me when I have to pick the bike up on some steep slope (I ride solo).  Power is very, very good with nice modulation.  My only nit pick is the bike is not that smooth when just cruising a dirt road, at low throttle openings, trying to maintain a constant ~35mph.

I often use the clutch in tight single track to modulate the power. Riding a gear higher also helps with that and then you can just clutch it instead of shifting down.

The big, huge 2t pipe is not your friend when you dump it in the rocks or you mess up a log etc.

Edited by Colorado^

FB_20140926_08_22_31_Saved_Picture.jpg Started on a pig of a bike xt350 not recommended but I had a blast on ole hanny haha. Now I ride a 2013 yz250 stock with a fww. She is one heck of a bike, very point an shoot handling, as I ride a lot of single track and hill climbs. Brappp on

FB_20140926_08_22_31_Saved_Picture.jpg Started on a pig of a bike xt350 not recommended but I had a blast on ole hanny haha. Now I ride a 2013 yz250 stock with a fww. She is one heck of a bike, very point an shoot handling, as I ride a lot of single track and hill climbs. Brappp on

KLX 450. It's paid for, it's set up for me just the way I want it, low maintenance and it's hoot to ride. Sure wish they still sold them in the states.

I'm looking for a newer used offroad bike.  There are not a ton of options.  As a winter discussion, what bike do you own and what do you like about it. 

I own a 2003 Gas Gas EC250.  The power is fun for trail riding, but for woods racing it has too much power for my ability.  I really like the power on my 2001 WR250F but it doesn't turn as nice as the Gas Gas.  Parts are also really easy to find for a Japanese bike.

If you like the 250, but has too much power, you might want to look for a 200cc two stroke. With the internet age, parts are easily accessible for pretty much any "current" bike, regardless of origin. With that said, I have an '11 ktm 300xc. Closest dealership is about an hour away, but really never go there for parts. I usually buy online and have parts at my door within a day or two. The thing that I like about my 300 is that it is controllable when I want it to be/need it to be, all I have to do is play the short shift game.

If you like the 250, but has too much power, you might want to look for a 200cc two stroke.

My friend has the same Gas Gas as me, but it's a 200cc.  For me, it's a much better woods bike.  My last race on the 250 I was doing wheelies through the woods, fun, but not a good use of energy.

My friend has the same Gas Gas as me, but it's a 200cc.  For me, it's a much better woods bike.  My last race on the 250 I was doing wheelies through the woods, fun, but not a good use of energy.

The power is nice to have, for sure...at times. I have a 300xc, but I have ridden a handful of 200cc two stroke woods bikes, they are nice to ride when it starts getting tight. The three hundred is kinda just a more "amplified" version. It can be lugged and ridden in the meat of the torque, but the 250, that is a different style of power band versus the 200/300. From my experience with the 250cc smokers, different beast entirely. It really is crazy how the power shifts with an addition/reduction of 50cc. Sounds like you know what direction you want to go with your next bike. The 250cc thumpers are nice, but they weigh a crap ton more than a 200/250/300.

I guess this thread got moved.  I really wasn't looking to considering what bike I wanted to buy.  I've already figured that out, I think.  I was just looking for what other people like about there bikes, or didn't like.  Every bike has it's pluses and minus.  I'm fond of the Yamaha's.  Over the winter I'm planning on putting my old 2001low mileage WR250F into a newer YZ aluminum frame.  I'll get a lower center of gravity, better turning, better suspension (after it's revalved) and lighter.  I'll probably also get a rekluse because I won't have electric start.  Another bonus is I'll be able to run lights on the YZ and a license plate.  The older WR's have a wider ratio gearbox then the new ones.  It seems I've located a 2008 yz with a bad motor.