Sign in to follow this  

Front vs rear tire importance

I'm starting to think the front is almost more important off road!! Every time I go down, it's generally because the front end washes out.. I have 606s front and rear.. Love the rear but the front makes me a bit nervous.. Just got a mt16 to replace my front 606 which still has about 75% tread life left.. I don't care, it's coming off.. I'll report back how the mt16 compares..

What do you guys think? Front just as important or if not more!?

• Like 1

Front.

I have about 6 rides on a new D606 in some mud, deep loose gravel (off-camber downhill switchbacks!) and hard pack dirt and hard rock. I'd say it's quite iffy in mud, kinda works but quite a handful in the loose deep, big-gravel off-camber corners and works GREAT on the packed dirt and hard rock...and road.

Even in loose stuff it's kinda all about balancing the slip-angle between front and rear end of the bike. Oozy mud is just bad news if you need to turn even 1 degree.

juz my 2 cts

Edited by shuswap1

guess it depends how and where you ride .. the terrain here tends to be hard packed, gets rutted up wet and dries hard and the 606 on the front for me climbs out of ruts and limbs and things pretty good .. and when the surface is just moist in the forest here it tends to be really slick and the rear is more of a problem to me, got to watch it or it will kick right out from under you, less pressure would probably help but anyway .. the 606 is worlds better than something like a 244, but if you ride hard, leg out to the front fender in loose stuff you may want a more aggressive tire ..

YESSSS !!! 

put your balls on the tank and steer with the rear !!!!!

if the rear end is breaking loose from gas or brake, USE IT but keep that front end working for you. the rear braking loose is where the FUN is !!! :D

Also, the d606 is a just barely DS tire, definitely not a knobby ! put a real knobby up front and open up a whole new world of control off road. front tires will last and last and last if you take it easy on the decel coming to a stop. a mx51 reare and whatever big, pointy knob for the front = the drz goes everywhere. d606 isn't good for much more than a conversation starter. 

Edited by ohgood
  • Like 2

I agree with bmw and ohgood, the 606 is not a good front tire for dirt riding.  I like the mx51 for a front and rear tire.  It's scary when that front tire starts sliding around at higher speeds. 

• Like 1

Yup, running the stock dunlop 605 on my klx250, very scary on some terrian. Only really good on hardpacked, dry, dirt or rock...and the street I quess. I am now in the market for a knobby front, I don't even care if its DOT, as long as it will last for 20 minutes on the hwy to and from the bush.

Mullet STYLE... knobby up front and D/S in the back :goofy:

you sir, are a genius, and i completely agree, the mullet is an awesome setup ! 

drifting the rear on gravel roads with 100% control up front = sooooo much fun ! 

once you go mullet, everything else low quarity

I'm starting to think the front is almost more important off road!! Every time I go down, it's generally because the front end washes out.. I have 606s front and rear.. Love the rear but the front makes me a bit nervous.. Just got a mt16 to replace my front 606 which still has about 75% tread life left.. I don't care, it's coming off.. I'll report back how the mt16 compares..

What do you guys think? Front just as important or if not more!?

I ditched my 606 front for a MT16, I think you will be impressed with the MT16 it has a softer sidewall so running 15psi will feel like 6psi on the 606. MT16 grips rocks and roots like glue

• Like 1

I ditched my 606 front for a MT16, I think you will be impressed with the MT16 it has a softer sidewall so running 15psi will feel like 6psi on the 606. MT16 grips rocks and roots like glue

Just what I wanted to hear!! Thanks DR D :). Heading to eastern WA this weekend to test hear out.. In western WA where I ride, rocks, roots and logs are most common so I look forward to this glue you speak of

• Like 1

Just what I wanted to hear!! Thanks DR D :). Heading to eastern WA this weekend to test hear out.. In western WA where I ride, rocks, roots and logs are most common so I look forward to this glue you speak of

Start with 15psi and adjust accordingly per conditions. I hated my 606 even at 6psi I went with a track master II rear and am happy with that too. Great combo

100% agree with everyone on the front tire issue. To quote a wise sage....put your junk on the tank, and steer with rear!  hahaha no other way to go fast in the dirt. I have heard the MT16 is good....I've had the MX51 and it was good, but now have the MX52 and it's even better......installed the Tubliss system and that tire has 6lbs. and absolutely kills it out there...(the inner bladder has over 100lbs)

• Like 2

I hate the 606 on front too, OK for rear,  Lately been running shinko 700's.  Like it on the front for sure.

I agree with bmw and ohgood, the 606 is not a good front tire for dirt riding.  I like the mx51 for a front and rear tire.  It's scary when that front tire starts sliding around at higher speeds. 

^^ This.  I had the D606 on the front and rear and hated the front.  After 2 rides I took the front off and put the MX51 in it's place, worlds of difference. 

Anybody interested in a low mile, barley used front 606 cheap?  :lol:

Edited by npm
  • Like 1

And you will be held liable in a court of law if NW_DRZ doesn't have good luck with that tire DR D. I'm not an attorney, just a paid spokesperson. Lmao

• Like 3

And you will be held liable in a court of law if NW_DRZ doesn't have good luck with that tire DR D. I'm not an attorney, just a paid spokesperson. Lmao

This is true Dr. D.. If i go down its coming back to you!!  My confidence level will have me approaching corners twice as fast because of the assurance you put in the tire :)

• Like 3

front way more important, I think everyone thinks that

I know I'm in the minority, but I believe the rear is more important.  In mud and deep sand it's important to get your weight on the rear and charge through.  A lot of adventure bikers try to be gentle and that's why you see so many stuck in the mud or hating sad.  In a hard turn you can always throw the front tire in a rut, use a tree trunk or slow down to turn, but a bad tire and accidently to much gas or a wet root and the rear will slide out without warning sending you sideways..

The front  D606 is just a bad tire.

Also the front sliding out could be caused by having too much rear sag or your forks mounted to low in your triple clamps.

Edited by toadl