Right off the floor

Was thinking about the Honda 450x and KTM 350 exc the the guys in the Honda forum gave me some good info on how it runs off the showroom floor and what I need to do to get it running right , hoping you guys could give me some input on the KTM 350 off the floor and how it runs before any upgrades , currently have a husky te 310 2012 and love it after putting 600 into it to get it running right , want a second bike so my boy can ride with me. Thank you guys for your input!

The KTM is MUCH lighter and a bit more of a high performance trail bike. The Honda is a good solid machine but the weight is a bit tiring if you're riding single track. Generally I like the suspension on the Honda a bit more when it's reworked.

If you're giving your son the 310 then for most Cali riding I'd get the 500 versus the 350. Not quite as good on single track but everyplace else I think it's better. Also the maintenance likely will be a fair bit less because most won't run it as hard as the 350.

The Honda likely is MUCH cheaper, especially in Cali versus the exc, which may impact your decision too.

Thank you !

I'm calling bs. I've been reading here for quite some time and I don't recall reading about any broken rods. I'm sure it has happened to someone, but I'm not buying that it happens more on KTM than other brands.

If u get a ktm change the rod like the one in your pants because it will just explode and you will have to buy new cases ktm rods suck the rest of the motor is good bit change the rod before you have to junk the bike

And where is any evidence of this?  "Get A ktm"?  So any and all KTM's have this issue?  Again, post some actual facts please.  Otherwise it's just pointless brand bashing from a fan boy of another colour.

My buddy's new CRF450X isn't in the same league as my friend's 350 EXC or my 500 EXC. Lighter, more power, better reliability, easier starting, the almighty 6th gear, heavenly clutch feel, better balanced for single track, factory street legal, far more tame and predictable power band, and just better designed IMO. My Honda buddy is currently looking for a 350 EXC after our single track session last weekend...

Good bikes, no question, but no comparison against a new KTM in it's element.

:rolleyes: I never heard of people changing "rods" on the new EXC's and I been on this KTM section of the forum weekly since I got new first EXC in 07/12'. Also talked to countless EXC owners and never heard such thing.  :rolleyes: What I have personally seen and read about is high milage, high hour bike with nothing more than oil changes and air filter cleanings  :thumbsup: While I guess anything is prone to failure and any bike will have it's issues, I have never heard of KTM's "rod" being a common failure point on their newer bikes.

Look at this recently posted KTM 500 EXC maintenance video, they take apart Adam Riemann's 500exc to see how the inside looks and surprisingly, everything is in spec after 75 hours and not a single valve check. And Adam Riemann rides his 500 in ways you wouldn't believe.

One ride on my 500XCW and my buddy put his Honda 450 up for sale.

LOL...

Kept going on about how good the suspension was.

I'm calling bs. I've been reading here for quite some time and I don't recall reading about any broken rods. I'm sure it has happened to someone, but I'm not buying that it happens more on KTM than other brands.

The owners eliminated that particular troll.

Adam Riemann rides his 500 in ways you wouldn't believe.

Not really. I can crash every bit as well as he can.

Yep….happened to me too and my 500 is the shizzle! Had to re-do the suspension to make it right, but now it's just a Love Potion #9:)

And where is any evidence of this?  "Get A ktm"?  So any and all KTM's have this issue?  Again, post some actual facts please.  Otherwise it's just pointless brand bashing from a fan boy of another colour.

My buddy's new CRF450X isn't in the same league as my friend's 350 EXC or my 500 EXC. Lighter, more power, better reliability, easier starting, the almighty 6th gear, heavenly clutch feel, better balanced for single track, factory street legal, far more tame and predictable power band, and just better designed IMO. My Honda buddy is currently looking for a 350 EXC after our single track session last weekend...

Good bikes, no question, but no comparison against a new KTM in it's element.

I have a 09 450X and I absolutely love the bike.  I agree, the new KTM 500exc is an amazing bike and I am even looking at them myself.  I agree with all of your points except one.  I don't know of a more reliable machine than the 450X.  I have seen many KTM's break down in my day, even new ones with failures when I was selling motorcycles, Honda's just seem to keep going.  However, I know the new KTM's are so much better than the older ones.

Edited by DesertRacer2