Oil during winter

I have a 2005 crf 250r and I plan on riding it this winter in what could be very cold/snowy weather and I was wondering if this could cause any damage to the bike or be bad for it at all. Also if im going to be riding in the cold like this what is the best oil to use right now i use 10w40 in the crank case and 80w/85w in the trans side should get thicker or thinner oil or just keep using what im using? 

I run the same 5W40 oil in my bike year-round... 90° summer days to sub-zero winters.

Let the bike warm up before you ride it.  This is really important in the winter. 

i-QGVwBWp-L.jpg

Snowmule's photo reminds me that I spent too many miles riding in the winter with snow, freezing rain or sleet and cars. Bletch. Without the cars, riding in snow can be fun. Riding in sleet or freezing rain always left a lot to be desired.

I run Mobil-1 0w-40 "European Car Formula" oil in both sides when it gets very cold. This oil doesn't have the same anti-friction additive package as most of the other Mobil-1 oil series, and isn't labeled as "energy conserving" which means the slippery additives that are bad for the clutch are NOT included.

Synthetic oils usually have a lower "pour point" temperature than dino oils, as well as pouring much easier/faster at temps just above the pour point, so that's what I am after when it's below freezing outside. Any decent synthetic is likely fine. Take a quart of your dino 10w-40 and put it into your freezer overnight. In the morning, open it up and try to pour some out, then you'll know why dino oil is bad in Winter.

Edited by Eddie8v

Ok thanks for the help guys!

I run the same 5W40 oil in my bike year-round... 90° summer days to sub-zero winters.

Let the bike warm up before you ride it. This is really important in the winter.

i-QGVwBWp-L.jpg

isnt 5w too light for the summer?

isnt 5w too light for the summer?

Never been a problem for me. :excuseme:

DSC00044big-L.jpg