Sign in to follow this  

Winter riding

I plan on winter riding this winter but heard stories of bikes blowing up because of the cold. I have a yz250 2t and want to know what to do when riding I live in western pa and will be riding in weather between 25-50 degrees I use belray gear saver 80w and run 32-1 yamalube 2r and have engine ice in it. Any input will help thanks

Adjust your jetting for the colder temps.

And let your bike warm up for quite a few minutes.

I always wait until the rads get warm

• Like 2

The high air density leans them out. Need to jet it so it runs like summer. I ride all winter, rejet for all four seasons.

The high air density leans them out. Need to jet it so it runs like summer. I ride all winter, rejet for all four seasons.

Call me stupid..

My bikes seem to run just fine during the winter. I don't ride colder then 25. Rarely 25 anyhow.

I warm them up real good and roll. Never a problem in all my years.

• Like 1

Add a little more fuel to the mix, the colder air adds more oxygen. 

Let the bike warm up for a few minutes.  This is the most important, and it's something you should do every time you ride... it's even more important in the winter when you've got a much higher temperature difference.

Heated grips are awesome if you've got the electrical capacity on the bike to run them.

Studded tires kick ass too.

I've never "winterized" my bike. :smirk:

Coldest I've ridden in is -16°F.  Had to stop every 5mins to scrape ice off my visor. :lol:

i-tS2ChQD-L.jpg

• Like 3

It varies, some bikes are very forgiving of changes. Mine's not. In the 40s this morning, took full choke and 7 or 8 good kicks to go. By noon, it will start one kick no choke. Once it's cold all the time, I can jet so it starts EZ all the time.

Same here, love riding year round, but under 25F sucks the fun out of it. That's when I remote start my Jeep Grandy and trade Supertrapp for a subwoof.

• Like 1

winter here in AZ.

Posting that in January will not make us like you! As soon as I can retire, I'm moving as far away from IN as I can without leaving Earth.

• Like 1

Warm up is even more important on the 2 strokes, cold seizing is one of the most common ways to blow a motor on a sled.

• Like 1

Snowmobile mittens have always been my best friend in winter riding.  When I rode street bikes I used to ride in sub-zero weather, the mitts and liners kept my hands warm.  I understand the wusses nowadays have grip warmers. :p

• Like 1

Damn, I'm just praying for a day under 80 degrees!! Warming it up properly is the best advice for any engine, carb or fi.

I plan on winter riding this winter but heard stories of bikes blowing up because of the cold. I have a yz250 2t and want to know what to do when riding I live in western pa and will be riding in weather between 25-50 degrees I use belray gear saver 80w and run 32-1 yamalube 2r and have engine ice in it. Any input will help thanks

If you don't have a service manual, grab one. They have jetting specifications based on temp/elevation. If the bike is ridden in LOW temps, look into the ktm cold weather riding kit. They are basically an air restriction device put in front of the radiators. You might be able to retrofit the kit to your yz, or even model your own, based on the design. This type of thing isn't necessary when riding in the 50s, though.

I do more winter riding than any other. It is a lot of fun. I also live in western pa south of Pittsburgh. I used to ride a yz250 now a 300xc. I ride well into the teens and sometimes the single digits. 

1. use auto anti freeze with 50% distilled water

2. I never re jetted and never had problems. If you already on the leaner side you may though

3. Dont attempt it without spikes. I have trellaborg / mitas studded rear tire and a front made with tapcons - you will go down hard if you dont

4. You need a pair of water proof enduro pants that go over your boots or you wont get the buckles off, you can also layer up under for extra cold days

5.  this should actually be at the top of the list - Shin/knee pads - you will find when you dump your bike or get stuck its very hard to stand and or push in motocross boots and you will fall on your knees a bunch!!!

6. I bought a pair of waterproof skidoo gloves - thats the first thing to get cold and wet - it makes a huge difference

hope this helps

• Like 2

If you don't have a service manual, grab one. They have jetting specifications based on temp/elevation. If the bike is ridden in LOW temps, look into the ktm cold weather riding kit. They are basically an air restriction device put in front of the radiators. You might be able to retrofit the kit to your yz, or even model your own, based on the design. This type of thing isn't necessary when riding in the 50s, though.

Actually you will find the air is thinner in the winter and the bike will run hotter or leaner. You will need to jet richer or maybe add a cooling fan.

Actually you will find the air is thinner in the winter and the bike will run hotter or leaner. You will need to jet richer or maybe add a cooling fan.

You have the rejet richer part correct. On the other part, with air being thinner, is quite the opposite. The air has INCREASED oxygen content, so that is the reason that you have to jet fatter in the winter. If the air was thinner, meaning less oxygen, you would lean out the mixture. Riding a two stroke dirt bike in the winter, in extremely cold temps would cause the engine to have issues reaching operating temperature, messing with combustion/temps for bikes without thermostats that regulate coolant temperature. Hence the reason to block off airflow to radiators. When you jet richer, you effectively decrease combustion temps, not raise them.

Edited by orangyktmthing

Air is not thinner in the winter. Colder air means the molecules are closer together and more dense. This will cause the bike to lean out if additional fuel isn't added to compensate for the increase in air. A bike that runs lean will run hot but a cooling fan in the winter is not needed and would only be a bandaid for incorrect jetting.

i'm planning on running studs, and covering half of the rads to help it keep it's temperature. Will also restrict the air filter a little more since i don't plan on rejetting.

In quebec winters average from -20 to -40 Celcius (0 to -40 F)

Edited by MrFreez82

i'm planning on running studs, and covering half of the rads to help it keep it's temperature. Will also restrict the air filter a little more since i don't plan on rejetting.

In quebec winters average from -20 to -40 Celcius (0 to -40 F)

Those things are just a band aid, what happens if there is a freak accident that causes the radiator to get excessive airflow or the "restriction" for your air filter doesn't work? ...Meltdown... It really isn't hard to swap out brass and have the bike run correctly with the correct A/F ratio.

Air is not thinner in the winter. Colder air means the molecules are closer together and more dense. This will cause the bike to lean out if additional fuel isn't added to compensate for the increase in air. A bike that runs lean will run hot but a cooling fan in the winter is not needed and would only be a bandaid for incorrect jetting.

I stand corrected. I was more so referring to humidity than denser air due to temperature.