Sign in to follow this  

'84 XR200R shock compression adjustment question

Hi,

I picked up an '84 XR200R parts-bike for the suspension (to go on my '01 XR200R) and now have a remote-reservoir shock that I'm working on. 

I have a question:

Does the compression adjustment knob go 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-etc. or does going more than once around set you off the scale?

I ask because the shock came knob-less.  Further, despite my initial efforts, I can't remove the compression adjustment assembly to see how it works.

I have no idea where '1' is, or how far the threaded bit the knob is supposed to go on is actually supposed to be threaded in.  When I got it, it was either threaded all the way in such that there was nothing for the knob to grab onto, or it was sheered off somehow. 

Any information on this would be appreciated.  A photo with the knob removed would be awesome.  Hints, tricks, or pointers on how to remove the compression adjustment assembly would be great too.  Oh, and any hints on how to bleed the thing if you can't remove said assembly?

Sorry to jump in with a question as a first post.  I was referred here by some inmates over at ADVrider.

Oh, and my attempt at removing said assembly involved making a pin-wrench kind of socket thing, with a hex on one end, and, ultimately, trying to get it to move with an impact wrench (and even a wee bit of heat).  Yes, lots of penetrating oil.  Nothing.  Just wearing the pin holes out; bent the pins as well.  On the next go, I'll try hardening them.  I didn't go crazy on the heat because, well, I want to go for a ride!  Didn't want to damage the o-ring unless I really had to.

David...

The compression valve has a stopping point of full in (hard) when you rotate the compression knob totally clockwise. 

It should not rotate anymore, again it has a stopping point. 

The tool you need is 07920-KA30001, however in the manual it states not available in US, I checked online and sure enough can't find it. 

Getting spares for this particular shock is very hard, as Honda only sells a select few parts. 

I would check with Race Tech, or one of the more reputable suspension shops to see what they recommend for a tool. 

From my Honda shop manual, it looks to be a robust tool, so fabricating one might be a bit difficult. 

Michael 

The compression valve has a stopping point of full in (hard) when you rotate the compression knob totally clockwise. 

It should not rotate anymore, again it has a stopping point. 

The tool you need is 07920-KA30001, however in the manual it states not available in US, I checked online and sure enough can't find it. 

Getting spares for this particular shock is very hard, as Honda only sells a select few parts. 

I would check with Race Tech, or one of the more reputable suspension shops to see what they recommend for a tool. 

From my Honda shop manual, it looks to be a robust tool, so fabricating one might be a bit difficult. 

Michael 

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.

After noting no view last night, I did a bit of a cross-post with ADVrider.  It seems I didn't get specific enough with my question as I've got both answers, but I think they're both right.  :thumbsup:

I'm going to assume you mean that threading in clockwise will bottom out, and I'm assuming that it bottoms out on the back of the attached knob.  The other answer I got was that it goes round and round, 123412341, etc.. presumably until it bottoms out, because it's a thread and has to bottom at some point.

So, from that info, I'm going to assume that my adjuster is not actually broken but rather just knobless and was threaded in too far.  I've already backed out the threads, can feel the detents as it rotates, so all I need to do is fab up a knob and figure out where '1' is.

As for disassembly, yeah, I saw the tool in the manual, including the "not available" note.  Thus, I made one.  I do have a 3:1 lathe/mill/drill thing to make something somewhat like the picture.  Wasted a day doing it.  It's basically a socket with a 19mm hex on one end and a couple of pins on the other.  I used oil hardening drill rod for the pins but didn't bother actually going through the hardening process.  Looking at the assembly, I just didn't figure it would be that hard to remove.  After all, it's just a light aluminium can with the valve on one end... not something I can really clamp down on with a vice.  Thus, I tried impact, eventually.  Still no go.   I did do a quick search on the OEM parts thing... no separate valve assembly available... and I'm rather cheap... so I'm being overly conservative on the disassembly.  I really don't want to break it.  My plan is to go for a ride and see how it works.

If t turns out I have to force the disassembly, I'll make new pins for my socket thing and harden the works, use lots of heat, and do what I have to do.  Hope it doesn't come to that.

I was worried until I managed to unthread the adjustment screw enough that a knob could fit on it.  Now I'm thinking/hoping the previous owner just turned it in too far and couldn't figure out how to get it back.

So, again, thanks for the reply.

Edited by fixerdave