97 kx 250 lost spark

Went to look at my mates kx 250 last night as hes having trouble starting it

Seems to have lost spark so took tank off and visualy checked everything all seems fine apart from a break in the insulation on a wire to the stator sender and the wire inside looks corroded

my first question is how do i test the ignition system coil ,stator and cdi (what resistance should they have and the multiplug from stator has 6 wires so which ones do i test ?)

second is what size flywheel puller will i need if the stator has to come off ?

Thanks from scotland !

Seems to have lost spark so took tank off and visualy checked everything all seems fine apart from a break in the insulation on a wire to the stator sender and the wire inside looks corroded

my first question is how do i test the ignition system coil ,stator and cdi (what resistance should they have and the multiplug from stator has 6 wires so which ones do i test ?)

Thanks from scotland !

Did you try replacing the spark plug first?

A new plug was the first thing i tried but made no difference ,having read a few posts on here il try disconnecting the kill switch but if that doesnt work i want to test the resistance on stator and coil but dont have a manual

Oh yer this things sick its turned green :p

You should hook up a battery to the spark plug then kick it while.your tring.to.kick.it stick your finger in the exhaust and see if its running a fever hahahahahahaha lolol

Aren’t you supposed to be in your room playing with Power Rangers? :naughty:

Thanks from scotland !

You need a digital multimeter to test the coil and stator.  

Thanks thats great il get it looked at tommorow

you should fix that corroded wire, prob has a lot to do with it.  

make sure to solder it and then use shrink wrap (try to find the shrink wrap with glue inside).

i would of already but the damage is right where the wire goes into the pickup so may be better to find a replacement pickup

unfortunately yes.

I am betting that is the issue.

its a good idea to check the wiring at-least once a year for any cracks, once that wire starts to corrode its game over and the voltage all but ceases to travel (some gets through but usually not enough).

it may be possible to get it repaired, try taking it to a alternator/starter repair shop, at the very least he will tell you its pooched, might be a lot cheaper too.

Edited by Excitable