"New" PIG

I've caught myself on this forum for the past few weeks reading tons of info on my "new" PIG. I think you guys call them pigs, right? With all of the wisdom I came across, it was a no brainer to register.

I'm no stranger to riding, this is my 4th road/10(ish)th total. This is, however, my first single cylinder street bike and possibly the most red headed of all my children.

Bought this 2001 xr650L for $1100 and only 13,000 miles on it! It needs a ton of lovin, but she runs great!

This will be a learning experience to me, as I have never did much work to any other bike other than oil changes. I plan on changing oil, filters, check fork fluid levels, adjust valves, then completely renovate starting cosmetically.

If there is anything else you guys think I should do (mechanically) that is imperative before using her to commute daily before I start on the seat, gas tank, plastics.... please chime in.

Glad to have found this place!

O Lam

Screenshot_2014-10-05-10-17-51.png

Welcome,

Check the counter shaft. If its stock then pull it and inspect the spines. My guess is that they will be worn. Lube the CS and replace the sprocket with a XR650R sprocket. 

Welcome O_Lam.

My 'big red pig', [a.k.a BRP] is also a 2001. I bought it in spring 2002.

It's the only vehicle I bought brand new off the showroom floor. :ride:

Still have it today.

Little did I know just how much they'd be highly praised over the years.

Thanks jake, I will check the CS, but I'm not sure if it's stock or not. Both sprockets were changed recently (or so I was told) but they are in good condition. I just got all the plastics and seat off last night and FOUND A CRACK IN THE FRAME! It's on the tail section so I'm not that concerned but still going to weld it back together.

Thanks JIM, I'm in love already. Such a low maintenance bike, and cheap to rebuild from what I understand.