Honda XR 400 Steering Lock

Hi Everyone

Some of you will have seen that I have very recently bought an XR 400.

The previous owner told me it had a steering lock but he never knew it did so was not given a key when he bought it.

Honda have quoted me £27.00 for a new one but they had to use the info from a 2001 model as my 1999 didn't come up with a part number.

Can I be rest assured that this will fit my bike? As once I have bought it I can't return it to them.

Also can two people actually lift our bike? (bit concerned of security).

Cheers

Hi Everyone

Some of you will have seen that I have very recently bought an XR 400.

The previous owner told me it had a steering lock but he never knew it did so was not given a key when he bought it.

Honda have quoted me £27.00 for a new one but they had to use the info from a 2001 model as my 1999 didn't come up with a part number.

Can I be rest assured that this will fit my bike? As once I have bought it I can't return it to them.

Also can two people actually lift our bike? (bit concerned of security).

Cheers

That's cool that the UK 400 has a steering lock.  I would think it would interfere with the oil cooler and control cables.  In the US, only the 91-96 250L and 650L are street legal with the 650L being the only air-cooled electric start XR.  Do you also have a helmet lock?

Yes, two bastards can lift your bike and four bastards can carry a full dress Harley into an enclosed trailer in twenty seconds.

That's cool that the UK 400 has a steering lock.  I would think it would interfere with the oil cooler and control cables.  In the US, only the 91-96 250L and 650L are street legal with the 650L being the only air-cooled electric start XR.  Do you also have a helmet lock?

Yes, two bastards can lift your bike and four bastards can carry a full dress Harley into an enclosed trailer in twenty seconds.

I just assumed all XRs had it? Apparently my bike is an import lol. The steering lock is just under the handlebars, it sits on the stem. Whats a helmet lock?

only real safety I guess is chain and lock round the frame.

Shame we have to think so much about how to keep it safe  ?

Pfffft.....these days a chain isn't even enuff....try a 12 gauge shotgun pointed out the window directly at bike.....that just MAY DETER EM!!!!! ?

Haha unfortunately in the U.K. its frowned upon to point guns at people ? . But thats a good tactic lol. 

My mechanic told me it would probably be too much hassle as I would need to drill the old lock out to put the new one in, at the same time trying not to miss and mess something else up.

Oh well, was worth a try.

Ey up, I noticed the steering lock on my Xr, I too have no keys for mine. I did a bit of looking as that is a lot of money for a steering lock - there are ones on eBay for a lot less,item no. 271381415328 looks the same as the one on mine. Might be worth a try.