Showa HSPD for offroad and desert

I have been searching the web for hours looking for experienced user opinions concerning the use of a Showa HSPD (20mm or 24mm) steering dampener in offroad and desert riding. A couple companies are doing revalve work that make it more capable offroad but I have not found many reviews. I did find one experienced opinion where HSPD was used on a CRF450X in a desert race (Vegas to Reno I think) where it was said to have made a fair improvement but lacked in the very high speed areas of the course (understandable) but overall for the average rider/casual racer it will work very well. I am considering install on my YZ250 to help mainly with heakshake going into high speed turns. 

Please share experiences with HSPD revalving and the newer 24mm version, even if it is MX use as the headshake issue could be similar in this instance.

Thank you TT

I had a thread on this with great info about revalving them , it was only a few weeks ago , I have gone tons stiffer on rebound side with Ali on here guidance , I got one ride in sand this weekend and it seemed decent but I never got to try it on a soft setting to compare back to back , imo just a tad stiffer with thicker oil or one extra shim isn't going to help at all , you can see when it operates it needs to be fairly stiff to do anything

I had a thread on this with great info about revalving them , it was only a few weeks ago , I have gone tons stiffer on rebound side with Ali on here guidance , I got one ride in sand this weekend and it seemed decent but I never got to try it on a soft setting to compare back to back , imo just a tad stiffer with thicker oil or one extra shim isn't going to help at all , you can see when it operates it needs to be fairly stiff to do anything

MOG

Thank you for your response.

I have not been able to find the thread you refer to, what is it titled?

i bought the showa 24mm and i have to admit, its very weak compared to the KTM dampener. I would like to stiffen it by a lot more to be in my comfort zone in desert riding. I even torqued the top bolt by a little more and its still too lose for my liking. Compared to stock its 25% better, but compared to ktm dampener its 50% looser.

I have Neken SFS triple clamps so i am limited to this steering dampener. I had to modify the front end to accept the showa top mount.

I will try 5w oil like everyone is suggesting, but am still disappointed, i thought the 24mm would be stiffer than the 20mm, given the fact it has to move more oil around...

buy a scotts,

i drop kicked my hpsd after messing with the valving 3 or 4 times

the scotts is amazing.

You need to stiffen it much more than the 5wt will , some people are using 80 wt gear oil in them

I had mine revalved for my CRF250R by FC for $100. HUGE difference, it's works now like Honda intended it too.