Sign in to follow this  

2015 CRF450 Shootout

Racerx just posted their 450 shootout video for 2015. I will let you anxiously see where the Honda placed.

It's about time the Honda 450 regained it's throne.  It's been the lightest & one of best turning bikes since 09+ it just needed some minor tweaks to the motor & suspension.   We shall see what the other mx mags place it at.  Personally I stopped putting to much stock into the shootouts a long time ago.   They do have some insight, but generally seem to be bias opinions from what I've seen.   If I believed everything read on the mags I wouldn't have owned an 02 CR250r or 09 CRf450r which have turned out to be one of the best mx bikes owned.   Both of those bikes are considered by many mx shootouts & social media to be the worst 250 2t motor & 450 chassis made by Honda.   Just my $.02...        

• Like 2

Not much of anything, hopefully more info to come: 1st CRF. 2nd RMZ. 3rd KXF. Just committed to CRF today so kind of cool to see this tonight. In the least bike should be better!

They have to say that so the bike companies don't get mad at them, I suppose. Pretty weak, indeed.

"pick a color" is a bike test?

Edited by Eddie8v

It seems there is no longer any printed reporting.

All the mags have gone to video reporting.

Maybe the smart phone gen is no longer smart enough to read print.

No paper trail = ambiguity and backpeddling possible...

• Like 1

IMG_9471.JPGIMG_9473.JPGIMG_9481.JPGIMG_9487.JPGPicked up my 15 CRF450 2 weeks ago, and put about an hr on it, before getting it ready to race the last 3 races of the year here these next few weeks. I have waited 6 years for Honda to build this bike! At 1st I thought I made a mistake buying it, but after about 1/2 hr of breaking in the chassis/suspension, and finishing breaking in the motor, I started to really get on it, and fell in love with the bike, bone stock, right out of the crate. The motor, though not as fast as the bike I am coming off of (an 08 CRF 450, full Yosh national motor with an Ice Cube 498 cylinder w 70 RWHP, and RG3 A kit suspension) feels awesome, lots of very smooth power bottom to upper mid, though it does seem to flatten off a bit in the upper revs, nothing that a pipe and remap shouldnt fix. I have only ridden it in the standard map, but am going to practice this Sat at the track that has the race this weekend, so I can familiarize myself with it more, see what the aggressive and soft modes feel like and set up the suspension, which for stock feels amazing (I did not even set the air pressure in the forks as I did not have a pump on hand!). This bike handles amazing, and falls into ruts, flows through turns and can literally turn circles around my 08, it will also change lines mid turn with no effort whatsoever. It feels pretty stable but probably not the most stable bike out there, but the steering damper on this bike feels a lot better than the 08s which probably needs a rebuild at the moment. The new bike also feels like its 50 lbs lighter than the 08! I told all my buddies that this bike should win every shootout in every mag, as it is almost perfect, and by just doing what 99% of racers do, by adding a pipe (Don @ Rocket is finalizing the pipe for this bike right now) and remapping it, the bike will be close to perfection without dumping a ton of cash in it!

Edited by Hillguitar

It seems there is no longer any printed reporting.

All the mags have gone to video reporting.

Maybe the smart phone gen is no longer smart enough to read print.

Just wait for the MXA shootout, still usually the most comprehensive and in depth im my opinion, as they will call a bike a dog and usually say it how it is.

• Like 1

The motor must be improved because my 13' would get last in a 250f shootout with that dog as slow motor.

• Like 2

The motor must be improved because my 13' would get last in a 250f shootout with that dog as slow motor.

Didn't Andrew Short place top 5 a couple of times on a stock motor with an aftermarket exhaust / remap in the 2013 SX midway thru the season before going to a KTM ?   It's not just about having the fastest motor -  A well set up chassis / suspension is the key.   I learned this when I was racing in 97 on that year model CR250r.  I was at a local race & this upcoming kid on a YZ80 took it to the entire field that day full of 250 2t's.     

Edited by H4L

Didn't Andrew Short place top 5 a couple of times with a stock motor & exhaust / remap in the 2013 SX midway thru the season before going to a KTM ?   It's not just about having the fastest motor -  A well set up chassis / suspension is the key.   I learned this when I was racing in 97 on that year model CR250r.  I was at a local race & this upcoming kid on a YZ80 took it to the entire field that day full of 250 2t's.     

right!

Didn't Andrew Short place top 5 a couple of times on a stock motor with an aftermarket exhaust / remap in the 2013 SX midway thru the season before going to a KTM ?   It's not just about having the fastest motor -  A well set up chassis / suspension is the key.   I learned this when I was racing in 97 on that year model CR250r.  I was at a local race & this upcoming kid on a YZ80 took it to the entire field that day full of 250 2t's.     

Absolutely correct.

ON a SX track where they don't shift out of 2nd, they rip....C'MON the cat is out of the bag on this one. The 13's and 14's are slow. So yes they are smooth and don't tire you out but that's because they are pigs.

IMO....the motor is finally fast enough to allow the superb chassis and handling to shine through and win.

Edited by souliog

ON a SX track where they don't shift out of 2nd, they rip....C'MON the cat is out of the bag on this one. The 13's and 14's are slow. So yes they are smooth and don't tire you out but that's because they are pigs.

IMO....the motor is finally fast enough to allow the superb chassis and handling to shine through and win.

Not to get off topic about the 15 450 shoot out, but Seriously are you able to utilize the stock power of the 13 to it's full potential ?  Not many can...  

What's the rated horsepower on the 13-14 vs. the 15 ?

Edited by H4L

Don @ Rocket dynoed the 15 CRF a week ago, told me a little over 55, cant remember the exact figure, but also way improved bottom and mid, the 13 and 14s had like 51.5 if I remember correctly

• Like 2

Don @ Rocket dynoed the 15 CRF a week ago, told me a little over 55, cant remember the exact figure, but also way improved bottom and mid, the 13 and 14s had like 51.5 if I remember correctly

Finally more HP than a 350sx....

• Like 1