Xr 400 electric start conversion kit?

hiya guy just got my second XR 400 2003, now i want to add the electric start kit to her,

from all the forms ive been reading all the previous suppliers have now stopped trading :(  dose anyone know anywhere else I would  be able to get my hands on one? thanks :):):) 

Edited by clacker50

There are no pre-configured kits available anymore to the best of my knowledge. I did mine by watching E-bay for months and picking up the necessary parts from the Honda TRX400ex quad. I'm not sure if that unit was sold in the UK, so it may be expensive sourcing all those parts from the US for you.

The following is a list of parts required from a TRX400EX 4-wheeler:

-         crank shaft

-         counter balancer

-         flywheel

-         Starter gears

-         starter clutch

-         alternator (stator)

-         left side cover

-         starter gear cover

-         left side cover bolts/stud/dowels

-         starter motor

-         ignition switch

-         wiring harness

-         400EX rev box

-         voltage regulator (rectifier)

-         ignition coil (you can use existing XR coil)

-         solenoid

You would then have to fabricate a holder for a battery and the starter solenoid that would fit under the left side cover plate.

I don't know how much those items might cost because I did a lot more to my machine than just the e-start. My best guess was that it cost right at $800 for just those parts.  All were used parts except the battery, starter motor, and crank.

and with those parts, you have to take the motor apart to put the crank in.  JoeRacer used to sell an adapter that just screwed on the XR400 crank so you did not have to take the engine apart.  I wonder where he is off to ?  If someone could get the drawings, some more could be made up.  Or if someone had one they would be willing to take off, maybe it could be reverse engineered.

I'm struggling to get used to kicking my Xr 400 (the previous owner done it first time when cold so it is my ability). In all fairness this is my first ever kick start bike as I've been used to the button.

It seems like a lot of work to make it a button pusher  :(

I'm struggling to get used to kicking my Xr 400 (the previous owner done it first time when cold so it is my ability). In all fairness this is my first ever kick start bike as I've been used to the button.

It seems like a lot of work to make it a button pusher  :(

There is definitely a starting sequence that you will eventually learn that will make it a  one kick bike all of mine are one kick cold start.

There is definitely a starting sequence that you will eventually learn that will make it a  one kick bike all of mine are one kick cold start.

Yeahh its just trying to figure that sequence out! Cold mornings do not help the situation either!

All in the fun I suppose ;).

Also how do we lower the headlight bulb? mine seems to want to light up the trees above me instead of the road..  :banghead:  lol.

I just found one that was converted. it looks interesting....should I buy it? he wants $3200 for it and the bike looks tight

get the pumper carb

or jet it correctly..........

It really is just the fact of getting used to kick starting, I'm slowly getting better

really dumb question but would the TRX400EX motor just swap in?

The motor mounts are slightly different, but it can be done by fabricating some new mounts. Some have done it with the TRX motor that has reverse. Very unique, kinda cool.

Having reverse would be really handy I think. ( well for me anyway) I can kick mine in all circumstances now, but I love the button & can't wait to convert my second XR4. Mine are Aussie XR4's & the conversion is a little different (wiring wise) to the U.S. Version