KTM 690 Enduro R, vs Honda XR650L.

May be a biased question here but, KTM 690 Enduro R . vs . Honda XR650L,

For everyday all around use dirt and highway,

I'm aware the KTM is superior to the Honda in terms of performance but pertaining to durability, lifespan, track record,

I own a Honda XR650L and love the bike, would like a 6th gear and i bit more horsepower though, always owned Honda's, their track record for long life is great ,things don't break often and when they do they're cheap and easily fixed, bike is great off-road and will hold 70mph all day long, its technology may be outdated, but its tested and proven to stand the test of time.

The KTM Enduro however has recently also acquired my attention due to its performance and technological advancements. Please provide whatever input you can in aiding me in my decision, thanks

Both great bikes but apples and oranges in comparison. You can't modify the xr to anywhere near the 690 and have it live. Those fins can only tansfer so much heat, power makes heat. Honda has it figured out pretty good stock but too much more and your baking valve stem seals and making the cylinder not round.

I agree, I'm wanting something that wil last many many years without hiccups, I'd be willing to cough up the extra coin on a KTM if i knew the reliability was there, cause god knows i crave the power, however, I've owned Honda's thumpers my whole life, if i buy an xr650l my first plans for modding would be as follows,

Tank- whichever is the largest aftermarket tank that will allow the air shrouds to stay on,

Cooling- also the shrouds play part but, plan on getting a temp dip stick and that oil cooler i been seeing,

Performance- would like to do the jet mod that makes it run cooler,

Seat- possibly seat concepts aftermarket or whichever is best,

Cargo- probably spring for cargo racks as well, side and rear,

Long life is more important to me than power, both would be nice

If i buy the KTM, I'll likely do no mods as I'll be broke, :D ha

I've read people have trouble with the tach cluster keeps failing, over, and over, some have said they don't have the lifespan, but one guy stated he had 121,000km on an 08' and just put new rings in without a hitch of trouble in that time, i still haven't decided, one day I'm set on the Honda, the next day I'm like. Fk that! I want the KTM, lol, think I'm just gonna wait til the dead of winter when people aren't riding and see if i can find a cheap XR with very low miles, the price of the KTM doesn't scare me as bad as the thought of paying on a bike i can't ride cause it's broke down,

Edited by stockjunkee84

Some people also stated they're a money pit, and aftermarket parts are outrageous,

First off. Most people who would say that, buy Chinese parts. Then wonder why they have issues. Lol

A lot of KTM bashing from people who don't own them.

As I said to people before. There's people on here who have huge mileage on the 640-690 and love them.

Snowmule runs a 525 has massive amounts of miles on it.

The only reason I don't own a 690 is price.

The Dr 650 other than the xr. Just as reliable.

Around here you can't find a cheap xr650. People want $1500.00 less than new for a 10 year old bike.

I researched this before. Just couldn't see spending $5000.00 for a xr used.

I bought a KTM 450exc for $3000.00 with only 90 hrs on it and 2000 miles.

Edited by ridngslikecrack

Most people also had to replace stock fuel pump that appeared to have failed for no apperent reason. People I know of that had less concerns about it afterwards replaced it with car fuel pump that was placed outside of fuel tank. Also there were some cases of rockers wear at about 15,000 miles even though there was oil in the engine. Some broken wires, screws fall off because of vibrations and lack of loctite and other minor stuff that shouldn't even be mentioned, just be dealt with. So you will be better if you have some mechanical skills ?  

It's a pretty good bike for roads, but it needs suspension work for offroad, it is SM-style stock. And you will have to get used to the lack of XR style low end grunt, it is made to make max power on top, and it does, can accelerate 0-60 on par with some 600 crotch rockets