Sign in to follow this  

List your Beta engine (not RFS) hours/mileage

Hey thumpers,

I have been looking for info on high hour/mileage motor maintenance, and to my surprise, apart from Catfish's oil gears bombing, I haven't found any info on these motors going bad.

They are pretty new motors, sure, but having been around for 4 years I was expecting at least some threads about engine wear.

Please post details on your bike as I do below, so we can establish how these motors hold up in varying riding conditions.

Model:

2012 400RR

Hours/Mileage:

290 hours

Around 7000km/4350mi

Riding conditions:

Previous owner - Rocky trails (Reason for needing a nw clutch)

Me - Mixed trails/dual sport 90 dirt/10 road with 60mhp+ cruising 

Work done:

Valves shimmed (from zero) 10 hours ago

New clutch pack 10 hours ago

Oil pump gears replaced by previous owner (unknown hours at time)

So far, they seem pretty bullet proof!

Model:

2013 350RR RE

Hours/Mileage:

70 hours

1200 miles

Riding conditions:

Mixed rocky trails/dual sporticon1.png 90 dirt/10 road with 60mhp+ cruising

Work done:

Piston and rings @ 70 hrs. (rings stuck burning all oil in 2 hrs. ride, burned oil from day1)

Valves at low end of spec otherwise perfect internals.

This post is just motor right??

Edited by weantright
  • Like 1

Model: 

2013. 400RR

Hours/Milage: (11 months of use)

106 hours

3350km 

Riding conditions:

Rocky single-tracks. Overall average speed 20-30km/h.

Work done:

1 valve adjustment at 50h.

1 coolant change

4 oil changes

8 air filter cleanings + new air filter now

1 set of front brake pads at 100h.

± 310l of gasoline 

Bike has been excellent under every condition. Plastics and stickers are holding reasonably well after many falls. High fuel consumption. 

• Like 1

2012 520RS

1234 hrs 

23,455 miles

A few valve adjustments and running the aftermarket aluminum oil pump gears. I change the oil when it gets black and air filter when it starts to clog. Motor is still running strong. 

Almost all my riding is fast desert racing and outdoor motocross. For play riding I slap a 10 paddle on the back and go to Glamis a few times a year. I'm a AA rider who rides about 20-25 hours a week. 

• Like 2

'13 300rr

~100hrs

~2500km

15% single track/woods @ 10-30km/h

40% atv trails @ 20-80km/h

40% open trails @ 50-100km/h

5% road @ 80-90km/h

no work done on engine at all besides air filter and oil changes.

replaced front sprocket, rear disk and pads, wheel bearings.

• Like 2

2012 520RS

1234 hrs

23,455 miles

A few valve adjustments and running the aftermarket aluminum oil pump gears. I change the oil when it gets black and air filter when it starts to clog. Motor is still running strong.

Almost all my riding is fast desert racing and outdoor motocross. For play riding I slap a 10 paddle on the back and go to Glamis a few times a year. I'm a AA rider who rides about 20-25 hours a week.

Whaaaat!? 23k miles on only valve adjustments, oil and filter? That's some decent haulage, mine is barely broken in then =P

Where did you get those alu pump gears?

2012 520RS

1234 hrs 

23,455 miles

That is crazy! Last week I was wondering about your bike after Catfish posted up his latest. Your numbers are so huge I want to make sure you are not being sarcastic? I figured yours had to be one of the highest hour engines around. I made my decision to buy a Beta based more than anything on reliability, Catfish's hours and great internet owners experience. This takes the cake. If this goes viral you could be famous..Like the Chevy commercials with guys that had 250k + on their trucks. Now I have to wonder, how far can she go til she blows? (or requires surgery) I assume you will not be throwing a top end at it just because.

2014 520RS

1860 miles

63 Hrs.

Ride area.

Seasonal, logging and fire roads. Temperature range from 45 degrees fahrenheit to 90 degrees.

Just change engine oil, gear oil and clean air filter.

Have a little oil seepage from gear box oil check hole.

• Like 1

2013 250RR 2T

102 hours / 1530 miles / 15mph on mostly single track and grass lanes

Checked the compression at 80 and 101 hours - 198 psi

Non-ethanol 91 octane gas mixed 50:1 with Amsoil Dominator, trans oil changed every 6 hours, air filter cleaned as needed

• Like 1

2014 520RS

51hrs

1193 miles

20% road

30% beach running

10% single track

40% avt/seasonal/logging

3 valve checks/ 2 adjustments

3 oil and filter changes

4 trans changes

air filter cleaning

2 sets of brakes

1 set of rotors 

• Like 1

2012 450 RR

197 hours

4065 miles

1505 miles of tough terrain over a period of 9 days with out so much as a chain adjustment. 

Mostly tight varied terrain single track 1st 2nd some 3rd gear,  some fire road and power lines between trails, almost no pavement.

One valve check and 6 oil and filter changes.

• Like 1

Whaaaat!? 23k miles on only valve adjustments, oil and filter? That's some decent haulage, mine is barely broken in then =P

Where did you get those alu pump gears?

That is crazy! Last week I was wondering about your bike after Catfish posted up his latest. Your numbers are so huge I want to make sure you are not being sarcastic? I figured yours had to be one of the highest hour engines around. I made my decision to buy a Beta based more than anything on reliability, Catfish's hours and great internet owners experience. This takes the cake. If this goes viral you could be famous..Like the Chevy commercials with guys that had 250k + on their trucks. Now I have to wonder, how far can she go til she blows? (or requires surgery) I assume you will not be throwing a top end at it just because.

Sorry guys I figured being AA rider would be a good hint of my BS! It's edited with real numbers now.

• Like 1

2012 520RS

1234 hrs 

23,455 miles

Only in my dreams! I'm a "C" rider at best. And everything else about that post is pure BS. 

REAL NUMBERS:

2012 520RS

Aprox 160 hrs and 4000 miles. 

1 valve adjustment at 151 hrs

Oil pump gears at 120 hrs or so. (they don't make aluminum ones)

Oil change routine is engine oil at about every 10hrs and engine, trans, filter about every 20hrs.

Air filter as needed.

• Like 1

2010 450 RR

40 hours

562 miles

two oil changes

one air filter

one rear & 1 front tire

• Like 1

beta 450 2011

12000km/7456.5ml 90% off road

365h

piston, big end bearing , chrankshaft bearings (150h)

valves ajusted(250h)

clutch plates (250h)

timingchain , sliders replaced (300h)

oil pumps replaced (300h)

oil pump drive gears replaced (300h)

various riding conditions :

endurance  4h-6h races

singeltrack

mx track

rock riding

Edited by domienduro
  • Like 2

Only in my dreams! I'm a "C" rider at best. And everything else about that post is pure BS. 

REAL NUMBERS:

2012 520RS

Aprox 160 hrs and 4000 miles. 

1 valve adjustment at 151 hrs

Oil pump gears at 120 hrs or so. (they don't make aluminum ones)

Oil change routine is engine oil at about every 10hrs and engine, trans, filter about every 20hrs.

Air filter as needed.

You beat me to it. I seen it last night and thought wow how many gullible people out there but most of them are new and want to believe these bikes will run forever.

• Like 1

2010 450 RR

40 hours

562 miles

two oil changes

one air filter

one rear & 1 front tire

Stop listening to it running on the stand and spinning the wheel by hand.  :p

• Like 2

Well I did get to bench press it a couple of times last weekend and drag it over and under some blow downs.The best part was getting to the top a couple of minutes before my twenty years junior riding partner.Tore off my helmet ,smoothed my hair, found a comfortable spot and busted out a cliff bar.This was the first riding with this guy, one on one so when he finally got to the top and was desperately gasping  doing the chicken trying to get his helmet off.  I just force controlled my breathing casually took a bite of the cliff bar and gave him a what the hell took you look.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 2

2013 300rr

177 hrs 2765 miles

Piston replaced at 105 hrs did not need just did it

Clutch cover changed from damage

2014 300rr

148 hrs

2256 miles 

both bikes 75% single track rest atv trails

Air filter changed every weekend ride

oil change every 8 to 10 hrs