Sign in to follow this  

Wooden jumps?

Put semi functional wheels on the ramps. Then you built trailers even if they aren't moved in and out when you ride.

Then the DOT or DMV might fine him because the "vehicles" aren't up to code...:lol:

• Like 3

Then the DOT or DMV might fine him because the "vehicles" aren't up to code...:lol:

Yard trailers lol or hand carts.

Bottom line though if they want to shut you down they will

• Like 3

Yeah, no frost line here... :smirk:

The big thing here (since Hurricane Charley) is anchorage for hurricane codes. Everything must be anchored with approved hurricane anchors. A/C units, sheds, pool cages...anything that could become a flying missile. Shingles have to be hurricane-approved and be secured properly, trusses have to be tied to the walls with steel straps, exterior doors that open in instead of out have to have exterior shields, etc...

The house I lived in during Charley came through it remarkably unscathed (except for most of the shingles and some resulting water damage, and destroyed hurricane shutters in the back) because I had hurricane shutters for all exterior openings, hurricane garage door, no gables or hips on the roof, etc.

I watched concrete roof tiles fly through the air as 160 mph missiles. There was a 16 foot aluminum strut from somebody's pool cage driven four feet into the ground in my back yard. After the eye passed over us and the wind reversed direction on the other side, one of the palm trees in our yard ripped loose and slammed into the power roll-down shutters that protected our screened lanai, destroying them, but they prevented the tree from entering the house, so they did their job. There was a port-a-john in front of the house being built next door to us. Before the storm, I turned it on its back and filled it full of cinder blocks to keep it from becoming a missile. After the storm, it was nowhere to be found.

You must live in Punta Gorda ? I was there for that I worked for PGFD

Both are equally scary! Not sure what i am going to do and at this point it doesnt matter. We had a ton of rain the last week and winter here in Wi is right around the corner. I will probably have to wait until next year, until then i am going to try and gather as much info i can to see if i can somehow just use dirt. Probably be a waste of my time but i only have one winter hobby so I'll have plenty of time.

Why not build a collapsible metal ramp of some sort?

more time and money but if you want something bad enough you get it..

i lived in Naples Florida during Charley, it was a show.. my house was fine suprisingly.

What you going to make them from?

I'd like to see how your jumps end up. Had little tiny ones made out of pallet pine as a kid.

We never had issues with traction, unless they were wet. Could you get glue, apply it to the face of the jump and through dirt and rocks on it?

skateboard grip tape would work good too

I think i should build a 20' wall around my property so they can't see what im doing and i can use my land the way i want to. I live on a busy road otherwise I'd just say screw it and use dirt anyway.

There's probably a code about that. Here where I live, you can't have a wall over 8'. Town ordinance or something. Easy way around it is to build up underneath with dirt and put the fence on top.

I've built wooden ramps. Just used plywood on the face never had traction problems just use steady throttle. Problem with wood jumps is they are heavy to move