Sign in to follow this  

2013 CRF 450 front brake issue

I have a 13 crf 450 and i just bought a Galfer oversized rotor and brake pads along with a ss brake line, my problemis that me lever feels spongy it stops my wheel but i can almost squezze it to my grip, i have a vacuum bleeder and ive ran thur almost a whole bottle of brake fluid, im not sure what to do next 

I have a braided line, 280mm disc, my lever will pull to the bar if i pull it hard enough, if i ever tried that whilst riding id be over the front in no time. If you are just garage testing it, dont worry, wait until you ride it. You are probably flexing the caliper.....

I have a braided line, 280mm disc, my lever will pull to the bar if i pull it hard enough, if i ever tried that whilst riding id be over the front in no time. If you are just garage testing it, dont worry, wait until you ride it. You are probably flexing the caliper.....

If he's flexing the caliper something isn't right.

We have a os Braking rotor with a OEM hose and the lever will only pull back half way to the grip and its solid.

yea i didnt think it did it with my stock set up i only have 20 hrs on the bike, at first all i did was put a oversized rotor on and pads, didnt touch the caliper or the master cylinder and is was spongy so i bought a ss line and its the same 

You have air in it. Take the caliper off and suspend it above the master cylinder a couple feet and re-bleed. Try bleeding it manually. Pump, Hold, Open, Close and then Release.

so after i suspend the caliper above the MC and bled do i just pry the pads back apart so it fits the disk back in 

Yeah, or you can put a piece of wood or something in between the pads. Rap the caliper with a rubber hammer to help liberate the air, and pushing the cups inwards will also help liberate air during the bleed process.

ok i just tried the the caliper higher than the MC and it didnt change anything, like i said it works its just that if i squeeze real hard the lever will hit my grip but it only takes about a quarter to stop my wheel 

ok i just tried the the caliper higher than the MC and it didnt change anything, like i said it works its just that if i squeeze real hard the lever will hit my grip but it only takes about a quarter to stop my wheel 

Squeeze the lever and then zip-tie over night. If it's firmer in the morning then it still has air. But no worries, you've compressed the air into the fluid and it will bleed out easier now.

does any one have a 13 and could see if they can pull there lever how far and let me know thanks 

does any one have a 13 and could see if they can pull there lever how far and let me know thanks 

did you read what I posted above???

I just tried my 2013 crf450 and yes it pulls back to the bar. However the brake on my bike is not acceptable.

For reference, my 2006 yz250 is rock hard at 50% and is really strong on the track.

yea i think im just gonna run with it for now, it works but im sure its not as good as it could, is your brake setup stock?

Yes...but not for long. It's been weak from day one.

Edited by souliog

same thing here, larger brake disk, galfer line.  both made an improvment but it is spongy and i have not been able to get the air out.  before riding i somtimes back bleed by pushing my knee into the caliper and that makes it stiffer, although for a limited time.  my stock 06 YZ 250f does feel better.  i plan on vacum bleeding it to see if that wiill help but i have not had the time so i just live with it for now.   

same thing here, larger brake disk, galfer line.  both made an improvment but it is spongy and i have not been able to get the air out.  before riding i somtimes back bleed by pushing my knee into the caliper and that makes it stiffer, although for a limited time.  my stock 06 YZ 250f does feel better.  i plan on vacum bleeding it to see if that wiill help but i have not had the time so i just live with it for now.   

Yea i have tried vacuum bleeding it dont change anything, im gonna try reverse bleeding 

Squeeze the lever and then zip-tie over night. If it's firmer in the morning then it still has air. But no worries, you've compressed the air into the fluid and it will bleed out easier now.

What?! What kind of physics is this?