fire roads

im sorta new to riding and where i live theres no  continuous loops on the ohv systems here in this part of nor cal, but there is a huge fire line/road that looks awesome but i am not sure its legal to ride them....my question is will i get fined for riding on them. my bike is also green sticker

its not in a residential area, its public land thats right off the highway, the fire happened this year and is on a mountain pass. i'm just wanting a place to ride since the nearest place that is OHV is about 3 hours away. i've searched google and can't find anything on riding on fire roads, i am not sure who i can call that would give me an answer. 

Typically, utility or electric transmission right-of-way roads are on privately owned land and you can't access them without the owners permission, and they are not open for the public to use as they wish, it is an agreement between the property owner and the utility company only for maintenance or construction use only, not the general public.

If BLM or USFS lands, you can use designated motorized system routes which are open to OHVs. Examples would be designated single-track MC trails, 50" OHV trails and 4X4 trails, system roads suitable for cars may or may not be legal on a green sticker bike. The way to find out what is or is not legal is to obtain a use map from the local agency office.

Newly scratched in tracks used for combating a fire are not designated system routes and at best would be viewed as illegal off route cross-county travel perhaps and worse if fire restoration efforts are underway.

I know this all sounds complex but if you want to be legal (and you should to prevent area closures) all you need do is contact the local BLM or USFS office and they should have area maps.

Bruce

We ride fire/logging roads every now and then, sometimes to connect trails, in several of the CA National Forest systems. Technically speaking, I believe that street plates are required but green sticker bikes often ride these roads with no problems. There are some exceptions as in areas like Georgetown/Rock Creek where the law cracks down very quickly on un-plated bikes. I consider plated dirt bikes as being essential, especially in states like CA.

• Like 1

I'm in nor Cal in the shasta trinity area. So far the only trails that are close to me to ride alone are about 2 miles and don't loop. The best trail systems that are a couple hours away and are hardly used so I can't ride alone is in Wildwood

• 7 months later...