Sign in to follow this  

CR80 FMF Fatty rust removal help

Hey guys this is my first post here, I have a CR80 that has some pretty bad rust spots on the pipe when I bought it. What can I do to make it look nice again and remove the rust? Thanks. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1413835526.430147.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1413835540.912888.jpg

Welcome to TT.

There is a 'Search' function that will let you find 99% of the answers you seek.

Your issue it fairly typical of a 2S pipe that is made of untreated  mild steel. If you remove the rust (which actually acts like a protective barrier) and do not treat the metal, it will rust again and in time, a hole will form. In most cases, you are better off leaving the pipe alone unless you have it plated. Somewhat pointless on a old pipe as unless it is 100% clean inside and out, no plater would touch it.

Welcome to TT.

There is a 'Search' function that will let you find 99% of the answers you seek.

Your issue it fairly typical of a 2S pipe that is made of untreated mild steel. If you remove the rust (which actually acts like a protective barrier) and do not treat the metal, it will rust again and in time, a hole will form. In most cases, you are better off leaving the pipe alone unless you have it plated. Somewhat pointless on a old pipe as unless it is 100% clean inside and out, no plater would touch it.

Thank you for your help, would I be able to just coat my pipe in high temperature paint instead?

To make that work, all the rust must removed. That will mean removeing metal too. Now you have a thin spot. If the paint job is not perfect, it will rust again. Now you'll have to strip the paint and....

Did you try the search function?

Oh ok, and yeah I did most guys used different methods. Like using different grit sandpaper to finely sand the rust off using water to wash it off or some guys used this stuff called naval jelly. I just want my pipe to look a little nice than it is would CLR work?

Buy a new pipe or try the methods that have been mentioned.

alright thanks

Ya, if just buy a new pipe, it will add power too.

alright thanks I might try ebay to see if I can get a good deal on a used one

Acid.

from where?

??

Bolt on mods, such as exhausts, etc., don't really add power.  They change the power characteristics.  A pipe may add more low end power, but it will take some away from the top end power and vice versa.  

• Like 1

Bolt on mods, such as exhausts, etc., don't really add power. They change the power characteristics. A pipe may add more low end power, but it will take some away from the top end power and vice versa.

Oh ok thanks for the info

The pipe is already messed up and rusted. So what do you have to lose. what ever method you try. You will come out ahead. butt you could just get a wire wheel on a drill and get all the rust off and paint it with high temp paint. That's what I would do

The pipe is already messed up and rusted. So what do you have to lose. what ever method you try. You will come out ahead. butt you could just get a wire wheel on a drill and get all the rust off and paint it with high temp paint. That's what I would do

good point, alright thanks what high temp paint would you recommend? I was thinking black or red.

alright thanks

alright thanks I might try ebay to see if I can get a good deal on a used one

from where?

Muriatic can be picked up at plenty of places. It will strip rust off like Chuck Norris. Be ready to paint right away though or you'll have a worse case.

Anything you coat will simply rub off again and rust will return though. Maybe you are selling it and want it pretty.

Muriatic can be picked up at plenty of places. It will strip rust off like Chuck Norris. Be ready to paint right away though or you'll have a worse case.

Anything you coat will simply rub off again and rust will return though. Maybe you are selling it and want it pretty.

alright so basically if I use the acid I have to paint it right away and then it will strip away again?