2014 YZ450 for Offroad?

What mods have guys been doing to the new YZ450 to make it more offroad friendly? Aside from guards and things like that. 

I see a nice looking 3 gallon tank for them. Looks almost stock. 

Flywheel weight? Mapping?

For the type of riding I do, the best mods (in addition to engine guard, handguards, folding levers) are:

1. Rekluse Core EXP clutch

2. Injectioneering throttle body mod (makes a big difference in my ability to control wheelspin in loose conditions)

3. Tubliss tire system (running lower psi has done wonders for my riding confidence)

4. Steering stabilizer

5. Kickstand

From everything I am reading, the stock pipe and map are both pretty darn good. Your riding style/conditions may be worth a change, but it seems like getting the power to the ground in an effective manner is a better first approach.

You need to read the posts on that subject by people who have fixed it without add-on gadgets just by dialing in the suspension.  The "sketchy front end" was mostly a problem for the '10-'13 models in any case, with the '14-'15 much improved.  The bike is very sensitive to small changes due to the extreme centralization of mass, and sag, spring rates, and damping adjustment are very important. Some adjustment to your riding style may be in order, too.

One thing I have heard is the the use of the front motor mounts from the '15 (steel rather than the more rigid aluminum mounts on the '14) help noticeably.

I have the standard protection stuff and I also have a slip on exhaust. The biggest thing for me was and still is mapping. I had to tame it down a lot. Just the instant throttle response down low was too much. It would jerk too much when trying to get around and over rocks. I have, what seems to be a good map now. Next move will be a heavy flywheel for sure.

Edited by ca412686

I have the standard protection stuff and I also have a slip on exhaust. The biggest thing for me was and still is mapping. I had to tame it down a lot. Just the instant throttle response down low was too much. It would jerk too much when trying to get around and over rocks. I have, what seems to be a good map now. Next move will be a heavy flywheel for sure.

I know the 2010 is not identical to the 2014, but I think they are close enough that my experience with the 2010 is worth considering. I tried the flywheel weight and tamed-down tuning in an attempt to reduce the low-throttle jerkiness. It was better, but I finally ponied up and paid $260 to have my throttle body modified by Injectioneering. I can't say enough good things about this mod. It enabled me to remap to a more hot rod map so I can get back the power I had lost, but it is still much more controllable at low speeds. In retrospect, I would have had my throttle body modded before buying a tuner- the mod is that nice.

• Like 1

I know the 2010 is not identical to the 2014, but I think they are close enough that my experience with the 2010 is worth considering. I tried the flywheel weight and tamed-down tuning in an attempt to reduce the low-throttle jerkiness. It was better, but I finally ponied up and paid $260 to have my throttle body modified by Injectioneering. I can't say enough good things about this mod. It enabled me to remap to a more hot rod map so I can get back the power I had lost, but it is still much more controllable at low speeds. In retrospect, I would have had my throttle body modded before buying a tuner- the mod is that nice.

I'll have to check that out!

Mike

2014 YZ450

2006 YZ450 Full motard (sold)

. The 2010 is night and day different than the 14 I had a 13 that was night and day different from the 14 your statement couldn't be further from the truth I'm not trying to be rude I'm just satating facts.
  • Like 1

. The 2010 is night and day different than the 14 I had a 13 that was night and day different from the 14 your statement couldn't be further from the truth I'm not trying to be rude I'm just satating facts.

Not offended at all. My experience with the 2014 is very limited. However, MXA and Dirt Bike magazines have both tested the 2014 with the Injectioneering mod and both loved it for the same reasons I love it on my 2010. Is your 2014 significantly less "jerky" off idle then your 2013 was?

Not offended at all. My experience with the 2014 is very limited. However, MXA and Dirt Bike magazines have both tested the 2014 with the Injectioneering mod and both loved it for the same reasons I love it on my 2010. Is your 2014 significantly less "jerky" off idle then your 2013 was?

. No that didn't change much it might be worse but I mapped it out pretty good though. I was meaning handling and power of the bikes the handling is real touchy the motor is a beast.

• 3 weeks later...

which flywheel weight are you guys running?  I'm torn between the stealthy and the gytr.  the gytr is only 4oz and the weight is 9 I think.  Any issues with the attaching of the weight to the stock flywheel?  It adheres on correct? Is that durable over time?

which flywheel weight are you guys running?  I'm torn between the stealthy and the gytr.  the gytr is only 4oz and the weight is 9 I think.  Any issues with the attaching of the weight to the stock flywheel?  It adheres on correct? Is that durable over time?

If you are mentally comparing the +4 flywheel for the EFI flywheel to the same added weight on a flywheel for any earlier YZ450, bear in mind the difference in the diameter of the weight.  The much larger diameter positions the added weight so that it has a greater effect on the inertia mass of the rotating part.  4 ounces added to a 'wheel for the '14 increases the inertia mass of the flywheel by a greater amount than adding 9 ounces to one for an '09.

Care to share your map?