1990 XT600E

Hi everyone.  I'm looking at a nice Yamaha XT600E, considering purchasing it.  Looks good, low miles (around 6000 if it is to be believed).  My major concern is simply this:  Parts are hard to find.  And very little remaining aftermarket support, seemingly.  And finally...going to a 24 year old bike after having had much newer machines recently...am I mad? 

You can get many of the "disposable" parts plus topend rebuild extras ect... but any upgrading or certain stuff like the tranny and a person is almost out of luck. The good thing is selling one seems to be equal to gold , at least the e-start internals. Zero used stuff other than 10 x's the normal cost. I just put an e-start motor in an older model frame and had to buy the motor from Germany(plus many of the other stuff), of course it needed a tranny(several blown gears) , 1 year and a couple months and still no used good ones in the states. had to get 2 new gears from Partzilla, but it still isn't right so still needing a complete set , doubt 1 will ever come up , unless I actually find a complete bike( which I haven't seen one for a couple years,,thus why I went this route). I like the looks and feel of the older ones anyways.

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1