SM conversion update

So I got my rims and tires last night.¬† The tires are 120 front and 150 rear.¬† I was able to put the front tire on last night but... WOW it was a tight fit and took longer then I thought. The one bummer is that the 320 EBC rotor -¬†bracket does not have place to mount by Trail Tech speedo too ūü§¶¬†...¬† Has anyone else had to deal with this?? :(

I will post pics tonight when I get further along on the project..

Where on the fork leg?? any pics available?

Does anyone else have trouble getting the tires on?? especially the front?

I'll take a pic and post it up. It is just placed on the front of the fork leg, lined up with the magnet on the rotor, and then the zip ties go around the fork leg and sensor.

The front was the easiest to get on for me, what problems are you having?

Where on the fork leg?? any pics available?

Does anyone else have trouble getting the tires on?? especially the front?

Ive got same thing, zip tie is gonna be my route since.im gonna switch often.

I remove caliper and all but one rotor screw ( which is super loose) to get my wheel on. Its a pita.

Mine is zip tied to the fork leg, was just a temporary fix but it works and looks good enough for me to leave it alone until I have time to make a bracket.

Mine is stuck on the fork leg with the factory double sided tape. 

I'll take a pic and post it up. It is just placed on the front of the fork leg, lined up with the magnet on the rotor, and then the zip ties go around the fork leg and sensor.

The front was the easiest to get on for me, what problems are you having?

I used a self tapping screw and screwed it into the plastic fork guard. Make sure you run the cable on the OUTSIDE of the fork leg and zip tie it to the brake line unless you want it to get eaten by the brake rotor

Ive got same thing, zip tie is gonna be my route since.im gonna switch often.

I remove caliper and all but one rotor screw ( which is super loose) to get my wheel on. Its a pita.

I have RM USD forks on there as well...  I think I'll use my fork guard.......  I had to order another rotor from EBC since the 320 they sent me was slightly tapping the caliper brake pin.... I was bummed!  I put the stock 310 back on and it seems to work fine

27ywc9x.jpg

Here is a picture I have when I mounted it. You can see the clamp. I just lined it up with magnet, verified that it picked up the magnet, and glued it with Gorilla Glue. That stuff is really strong, water resistant, and is easily to apply. I'll take a close up later tonight so you can see in better detail.

256vk0i.jpg

2mry3c3.jpg

2ryhu9v.jpg

I hope this helps you get an idea for how I mounted mine. As you can see, I dremmel'd off the tab that you're supposed to screw it down with. Place the sensor as per the instructions (magnet should pass just below sensor) and hold it there. Get a friend, or hold the sensor and spin the wheel. If it picks it up, you're good to go. Get some Gorilla Glue, mount it, and use a clamp to hold it down. I let mine sit for about 4 hours with the clamp. After that it will be strong enough to hold. After 24 hours it'll be on there with a very good bond. I colored the Gorilla Glue with sharpie because it dries as a off yellow color. You really can't even see the sensor. Looks good in my opinion, and is much more secure and looks better then zip tying it.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

256vk0i.jpg

2mry3c3.jpg

2ryhu9v.jpg

I hope this helps you get an idea for how I mounted mine. As you can see, I dremmel'd off the tab that you're supposed to screw it down with. Place the sensor as per the instructions (magnet should pass just below sensor) and hold it there. Get a friend, or hold the sensor and spin the wheel. If it picks it up, you're good to go. Get some Gorilla Glue, mount it, and use a clamp to hold it down. I let mine sit for about 4 hours with the clamp. After that it will be strong enough to hold. After 24 hours it'll be on there with a very good bond. I colored the Gorilla Glue with sharpie because it dries as a off yellow color. You really can't even see the sensor. Looks good in my opinion, and is much more secure and looks better then zip tying it.

Hope that helps.

I have RM USD forks though.... so not sure if that will work...

Yours look great!

I have RM USD forks though.... so not sure if that will work...

Yours look great!

oh okay. I'm pretty sure there's a write up on here and that person just mounted it to the fork guard. Search "drz vapor install" on Google and it'll come up.

I have RM USD forks on there as well... I think I'll use my fork guard....... I had to order another rotor from EBC since the 320 they sent me was slightly tapping the caliper brake pin.... I was bummed! I put the stock 310 back on and it seems to work fine

My buddy vagrantidol had sold.me his wheels and had it screwed to rmz usd fork guard.

Sm wheels

Technically all you "need" are the wheels and tires, just throw your S model brake rotors and sprocket on the SM wheels, and install them.

But at a minimum I would do

Wheels, tires, 320 front rotor w/ relocation bracket, a rear sprocket (Stock for a SM is 41T), and a SM speedo drive

Note: If the wheels you buy do not have the tabs to work with the speedo drive then you will have to use an aftermarket speedometer with a magnetic pick up like the Trail Tech Vapor.