Difference between 05' air box boot and my '12 yz250f air boot

Hey guys I just wanted to show the differences between the 05' and my '12 yz250f air box boot.

Here's a cheap mod that will make your later model yzf breathe a lot better and feel much more snappier.

-Replace the air box air boot for a 05' yz250f $25       Part# 5xd-14453-00-00

-Replace your air filter cage which has a screen with the yz250 2-stroke air filter cage $23       Part# 3JD-14458-01-00

-Replace your air filter with the twin air backfire-resistant air filter $25    Part# Twin Air 152313FR

Totally can feel how much livelier the bike is

IMG_2302.JPG

Edited by Costa Rican YZ250

I agree. I did these same mods, but with a MT Air4orce but I have heard that similar results can be had with the older 250F air boot. I always thought the oem 10-13 air boot was goofy and restrictive -looking but I obviously don't know the science behind it. I do know that the above mods are a nice little mod for these bikes.

• 1 year later...

I think he is right on the gray wire, I had a canadian WR250f....same year actually...didnt have it. Far as I remember too, the throttle stop was also already the same as the ya. Def do the exhaust though. Look for a used yz pipe or used pipe in general to save some cash. I know you said it has the oring mod, but check the AP timing as well. 

There are quite a few threads on yz/wr low end bog, to save a buncha reading here, maybe search that and just go through some to see if there are any ideas you'd like to try. There are also some clutch mods for these bikes which I have heard can be beneficial as well.

I think he is right on the gray wire, I had a canadian WR250f....same year actually...didnt have it. Far as I remember too, the throttle stop was also already the same as the ya. Def do the exhaust though. Look for a used yz pipe or used pipe in general to save some cash. I know you said it has the oring mod, but check the AP timing as well.

There are quite a few threads on yz/wr low end bog, to save a buncha reading here, maybe search that and just go through some to see if there are any ideas you'd like to try. There are also some clutch mods for these bikes which I have heard can be beneficial as well.

Are you talking about WR's? I thought these mods were for the YZ.

After searching it's not that easy to find exactly what I'm after. What's the wire mod and what is the Tokyo carb mod? I googled them and they have a spring. Do you just buy that and replace the existing spring?

Still interested in this air boot swap too.

Thanks.

Run the 05 boot!! The 12 has the long velocity stack for low end power pull. The 05 boot will open bike up and gain power pull everywhere. I have corrected jetting for the 12 yz250f that is a big difference and gets rid of that little bog when chopping at throttle

Let me know if interested

Run the 05 boot!! The 12 has the long velocity stack for low end power pull. The 05 boot will open bike up and gain power pull everywhere. I have corrected jetting for the 12 yz250f that is a big difference and gets rid of that little bog when chopping at throttle

Let me know if interested

Yes please. Do you need to rejet to suit the 05' air boot? I'm assuming the 05' boot is a straight swap too.

Also, I've seen the spring for the carby too. That's also supposed to help the bog too.

Thanks mate.

No need to tie the AC pump. The bog is the leek jet. Put in a 80 or 82 leek jet, which ever you find but 80 is the one you want

42 pilot and a 180 main. Take off the backfire screen also and use the 2005 boot. That jetting is good for a stock or mod bike. Jetting doesn't change. The slow jet and needle position stays stock!

No need to tie the AC pump. The bog is the leek jet. Put in a 80 or 82 leek jet, which ever you find but 80 is the one you want

42 pilot and a 180 main. Take off the backfire screen also and use the 2005 boot. That jetting is good for a stock or mod bike. Jetting doesn't change. The slow jet and needle position stays stock!

Thanks mate, I'll give this a try. I'll see if the shop has these jets.

Now. Isn't the "slow jet" the pilot jet, or is that just for two strokes?

Also is the back fire screen the mesh on the air filter screen?

And one last question sorry, is the boot on the left the 05'? Same as this? Thanks.

1461742474275.jpg

The pilot is the longer one and the leek jet is the small one that's on the float boal.

Yes the wire mesh and no that is not a 05 boot

The 05 doesn't have the straight tube it flares out, gets bigger right at the clamp area at back of carb