Thinking about buying a dirtbike that needs a top end rebuild

I have a Suzuki DR650, but I want something lighter for the trails. I've done some mechanical work on my bike, such as splitting open the crankcase, and taking apart the carburetor. Do you guys think I can handle a top end rebuild?

Here is the bike that I am thinking about getting. It's only $200!

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/snw/4662489606.html

If you have split cases before, I don't see why you couldn't do a top end? How did you split your cases without taking off your head and cylinder? I would be weary of what that bike actually needs. And if you can still find parts for the bike? It's a two stroke so it will be easy compared to a 4 stroke to rebuild.

Ok thanks. Won't buy. It's a 1991 btw. Even for $200 though? Or is it just too much of a risk for you?

Big Time Money Pit unless you want it to part it out (mostly for the experience of taking a bike apart).  1980's early 90's KTM's total POS.  I'm not sure what year they actually became on par with their competitors.  I had a friend that was partially sponsored by a KTM shop back then.  I tried riding it a few times and the geometry / suspension really sucked, the power was decent, but overall it was just junk.  On top of that, parts were quite a bit more than the Japanese bikes to fix.  I'm not familiar with getting vintage KTM parts, but good luck if you were to try and repair anything.

Look around, and get a newer Japanese bike.  I have a friend in Oregon that has my 1991 YZ250 I sold him years ago.. he blew it up, someone split the cases and didn't put it back together (parts are in a box).  Cylinder needs repaired, bottom end probably needs some work, I'm sure some seals are bad, etc.

I bet that bike is worth more, and if it were me.. I'd give it away if someone really wanted to get it going.  I'm not sure if he ever got it registered, etc.  I brought it from Hawaii and they didn't title dirt bikes, and my friend who bought it new (I was 2nd owner), never gave me the MCO or whatever they gave him.  I think I figured out the pricing on that, and it would be like 800-1000 in parts and some labor to get it going.

You're going to have a very hard time just finding parts for that bike, if at all. Doesn't matter if parts cost a lot or the bike was crap to begin with.

I have a buddy who got a free KTM 550. It's been sitting in his garage for 2-3 years. Everything is set to go, just needs a piston. Nobody makes one.

Parts man, we don’t got no stinkin’ parts.  You own a bank?  That’s the line you will hear.

Compared to Japanese, KTM parts are super expensive.  I was thinking of buying an 01’ KTM400 EXC on the cheap as the guy was practically willing to give it away.  Before I went to look at the bike I looked at an online parts distributor and found out a crank was $800……….  A piston was $200 Yikes!!!  Most of the parts were listed as not in stock, 5 -7 days….. right?  I had a list totaling $3k just for an average engine rebuild.  Didn’t buy the bike.

no one mentioned that what you did - taking a side cover off to work on the clutch is really not what most call "splitting the cases".  That would be the case halves immediately to the left and right of the dead center seam.  The problem with what you're thinking of is that you are taking the word of the seller that this is what's wrong and he would certainly be minimizing what REALLY could be wrong.  "Top end" could include the cylinder, depending on how bad it is.  So, for a cylinder, add about $400+.  It MAY need a crank.  $$$.  Again, there's really no way to check on this before hand.   The whole approach is a huge gamble that if you lose, you will hate dirt bikes for a long time!

I posted this question on reddit.com/r/dirtbiking, and everyone is saying to buy it. If bad comes to worse, they said I could just part it out on ebay and get all my money back. If it's only the top end that needs to be rebuilt, then it's gold. thoughts?

Well...if everyone on Reddit said buy it....then it must be good advice.  Hell...i read Reddit here and there for entertainment value, would I sure wouldnt be using it for advice like what is provided on special interest forums like ThumperTalk, JeepForum, etc.

I'm sure you can part it out and make back $200, but its a question of how much effort and cost you are willing to absorb and it still may not get you any closer to a cheap running bike.  I also dont trust the no pink slip thing...unless there is a clear trail of ownership through bills of sale, etc and a way to confirm it has not been stolen.

Try something like this:

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/mcy/4691954894.html

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/4719818957.html

For the price of the piston for an older KTM (if you can find one) you can have a running bike. And a new piston for the 93 YZ is $105, still produced by ProX and Wiseco, readily available through rockymountainmc.com, and no scouring Ebay.

Plus it was a better bike to begin with.

I posted this question on reddit.com/r/dirtbiking, and everyone is saying to buy it. If bad comes to worse, they said I could just part it out on ebay and get all my money back. If it's only the top end that needs to be rebuilt, then it's gold. thoughts?

You have a new reply on reddit. 😉

Edited by ubu

Try something like this:

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/mcy/4691954894.html

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/4719818957.html

For the price of the piston for an older KTM (if you can find one) you can have a running bike. And a new piston for the 93 YZ is $105, still produced by ProX and Wiseco, readily available through rockymountainmc.com, and no scouring Ebay.

Plus it was a better bike to begin with.

You have a new reply on reddit. 😉

Are even older models okay too? Such as the YZ from the 80's? http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4709120420.html

Edited by travisantonissen

At least consider one newer than the original monoshock - unless you're gonna do vintage racing.  The late 80's/early/mid 90's YZ's are a little harder to jet correctly and don't handle quite as good as later ones.  For more details on this ( & I'm certainly not an expert), post a question about specifics on years, etc. in the Yamaha 2T sub-forum.

At least consider one newer than the original monoshock - unless you're gonna do vintage racing.  The late 80's/early/mid 90's YZ's are a little harder to jet correctly and don't handle quite as good as later ones.  For more details on this ( & I'm certainly not an expert), post a question about specifics on years, etc. in the Yamaha 2T sub-forum.

He's looking for a cheap trail bike. I don't think the handling difference is going to be a huge issue, especially compared to a DR650.

I had a 95 YZ125 as a 2nd/wife/buddy bike for a while. Had a blast on that thing sometimes.

Are even older models okay too? Such as the YZ from the 80's? http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/4709120420.html

Do yourself a favor and save up.  When you have about $1,000-$1,500 you are in the range to get something pretty good if you really look.  I'd try to get nothing older than a 97, but you will probably find much newer bikes for what the guy with the 97 is asking.  Also, I recommend you get one that runs.  Anyone saying it just needs a piston better have the thing running,  A lot of us know when it's time for a piston (and it's not when the bike no longer runs).

• Like 1

A lot of us know when it's time for a piston (and it's not when the bike no longer runs).

Exactly.

I took my personal "running great" bike down to re-ring as insurance half wah through my normal piston change interval.

I had a shit ton of blow by and cracked plating.

Plan on replacing a top end on any used 2 stroke.