4 hrs of Starvation Ridge update #5- NOT FLOODED!

Thursday morning. 50 hrs before the start of the 24hr.

It didn't start raining untill 4-5 pm Wednesday. Prior to that point, we were out marking in shirtsleeves with very little rainfall. Even then, the rain was spotty and NOT the pounder that the west side received.

Through the night more of the same, spotty showers, drizzle, calm periods.

8 am Thursday. it was drizzling earlier, now calm, cloudy and overcast.

The most accurate predictor is NOAA, from their Pendleton office.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... tType=text

Check them out, compare results , and relax.

In a nutshell, limited rainfall for the next 2 days with a CHANCE of showers during the race. That means anywhere from a few drops now & then( just enough to mess up your goggles), to a few minutes of light to heavy rain ( okay as long as you are not the one out in it) to keep the dust down.

Current conditions: Soil moisture was only down 2-3" Wednesday. Below that, the ground was dry & hard. LOTS of moisture-carrying capacity in the soil. The rains we get through Friday will soak in and soften the soil profile. It will take INCHES of rain to saturate the soil and begin trickling into the ponds. ( Relax about the flooded ponds Steve).

Unless the forecast changes.....or they completely blow the forecast ( rare for NOAA), we are looking at EPIC conditions ( Yes, perfect dirt has been mentioned in our conversations)

I may even pull a few new tricks out if conditions allow me. We are pre-approved by local authorities for a new race obstacle if conditions allow!!

I wrenched my shoulder kayaking last friday night.  Think I tore a muscle.....I'm out for this year.  Might make it out to sweep or run a check....not sure yet, still pretty sore.

Probably a sign you should stick to safe activities like dirt bike riding and forget about the rest. Think about it you would have EVEN MORE time to ride !!!

Probably a sign you should stick to safe activities like dirt bike riding and forget about the rest. Think about it you would have EVEN MORE time to ride !!!

I went for a 90mile ride the next day on the devil's backbone and area....trail riding is easier than racing, and I'm not givin up my paddle, there are many like it, but this one is mine ?

• Like 1

My girlfriend and I hiked around the course yesterday and cheered everyone on, up until dark the dirt was the best I have seen at the ridge (except for maybe the 2007 12 hour)

But the night looked exttreamly brutal!

image_zpse82c2ed0.jpg

This is by far one of the best races in the states by far. Scott, the plumbing may need a little help

image_zpsb5e75bd2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...