cr250 or cr125?

Since you're only 17 and you want to race it, I'd say go for the 125.  There will be more people around your skill level in the 125 class.  The 250 racers are USUALLY more experienced and better riders.  Thats not to say people don't start out in the 250 class and still have some success...

Riding around trails and dirt roads on 250's is an entirely different animal then racing and going up against other riders.

If you were just track riding for fun and not planning on racing I'd say get the 250 because its something you can learn on and you'll be glad to have extra power.

IMO you need to figure out what you want to do exactly because even if you go with a 125 you will want to move to a 250 eventually.  So if your planning on riding/practicing on a track and racing every now and then I'd probably go with the 250 as well.  If you really want to race every weekend then start with a 125

And with all that said, I am much older now and 4 strokes were not part of the MX equation back when I raced so that's something you have to think about as well.   

You cant track ride and trail ride a race bike.....You will just be wasting your time. If you want to race...buy the best bike you can and keep it on the track...Save the trails for the 250. if you want to be competitive find yourself a good mechanic and a tuner and keep your race bike as fresh as possible.