Chadwick cycles only

As some of you know, Chadwick from Camp Ridge North is now closed to ATV's and is cycles only. The forest service has installed a fence all the way down fire road 110 to prevent 4-wheelers from getting into the area. 

For those of us who like single track, this is a great opportunity. The forest service desires our input and help. Typically, they are not riders so they don't know what we want unless we provide them with our input. And, my impression is that they not only are willing to listen, but are desperately seeking our input.  

It seems to me this is our one time opportunity to develop this part of Chadwick however we desire. The forest service is requesting help regarding input on what this area is going to look like and help in development and maintenance of the trails. 

My vision is to see this area modeled after Brock Creek where there is legal single track co-existing with ATV trails. The only way this is going to happen is with our input and help. 

Please let me know what you think either by replying to this posting or sending me a PM. If you would like to contact the forest ranger directly, her contact information is listed below:

drein@fs.fed.us

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, that would be different. Most of my interactions with the rangers in the last several years has involved the day use area, one pulling up in the truck/SUV, getting out and saying "hope y'all got passes". Walking through the bikes looking, everyone has a pass of some sort, "ok, y'all ride safe", gets back in the truck and drives off. Couple times before they drove off one said something to the effect of, "too bad, I was hoping to write some tickets". Used to be an older guy (probably my age) that would stop and exchange pleasantries, but had no real information as to what was up, and I haven't seen him this year at all. In reality, I've only seen a ranger once since early last spring, and that was a couple of them in the pickup driving down the dirt road (171). Would be nice if they'd just stop and talk a bit, and quit treating those pass checks like they were shaking down a bunch of kids on the street corner at 1:30 in the morning.

Used to be an older guy (probably my age) that would stop and exchange pleasantries, but had no real information as to what was up, and I haven't seen him this year at all.

I remember him, he was usually with a younger ranger also. They were pretty nice, and always talkative.

It's probably just because of my dad that we always talk to the rangers when we see them. He has a way of starting a conversation with anyone

You folks are gonna be best off doing what we do here in MN - get yourselves organized and get involved!  Or you will just sit around complaining about the gov't.  Of course they don't really care about trails.  Unless they're riders, too.  But what's huge is you got something moving with the bike-only area.  You gotta KEEP them moving, this Allkidd is on to something. 

In MN, we get PAID by the state to maintain our public trails.  Our DNR figured out that its way easier and cheaper to have us do the real work, they just have to rubber stamp the projects and interject the usual bureaucracy here and there.  Of course that means there's still some dude in every club that has to go deal with the DNR on a regular basis, lots of times there's red tape, but in the end it gets done.  And you find out who is "on your side" in the big picture.  And before I get flamed from some Michiganer or something again - I'm not saying its all awesome here, but it seems to work a little better than what I see 1 and 2 states south...which is the gov't making the riding areas, and riders bitching about what they got. 

If I lived down there, I'd get some folks together and contact that ranger with some proposals.   There's books out there on building sustainable trails, and whatnot. 

That being said, next time I visit, I want you folks to have your act together and some singletrack for me to ride without getting arrested, haha!   Good luck! 

You folks are gonna be best off doing what we do here in MN - get yourselves organized and get involved!  Or you will just sit around complaining about the gov't.  Of course they don't really care about trails.  Unless they're riders, too.  But what's huge is you got something moving with the bike-only area.  You gotta KEEP them moving, this Allkidd is on to something. 

In MN, we get PAID by the state to maintain our public trails.  Our DNR figured out that its way easier and cheaper to have us do the real work, they just have to rubber stamp the projects and interject the usual bureaucracy here and there.  Of course that means there's still some dude in every club that has to go deal with the DNR on a regular basis, lots of times there's red tape, but in the end it gets done.  And you find out who is "on your side" in the big picture.  And before I get flamed from some Michiganer or something again - I'm not saying its all awesome here, but it seems to work a little better than what I see 1 and 2 states south...which is the gov't making the riding areas, and riders bitching about what they got. 

If I lived down there, I'd get some folks together and contact that ranger with some proposals.   There's books out there on building sustainable trails, and whatnot. 

That being said, next time I visit, I want you folks to have your act together and some singletrack for me to ride without getting arrested, haha!   Good luck! 

Little different here. If the DNR had it's way, they'd shut the whole place down in a heartbeat because we might stir up some silt in a creek and damage the habitat of some lizard 10 miles down stream. The use area is ran by the US Forestry Service, and is on Mark Twain National Forest land. They take in $$ on permit sales, and only have started doing anything with the place again because they got some extra grant $$ a few years back and needed to show a justification for it. They hadn't touched the place for a good 10 years or more before that. Only complaining we do is about the quads destroying everything, and the rangers trying to destroy the stuff that we make that the quads can't.

People have been building single track there for years (a lot of it originated from the way back days when the Black Jack Enduro ran there), and the rangers do their best to find it and either stake it out in order to write some tickets (and collect extra revenue), or cut trees down across it and block it off. Their reasoning has always been, they couldn't get a quad into the "illegal" single track to get people out if they got hurt. Now they are going to build single track that they can't get quads down to get people out if they get hurt? Or are they planning on building double track with one groove and calling it "single track"? Who knows. It's the Forestry Service, you can get organized and talk to them all you want, in the end, they're going to do what they want to do, and that's what it'll be..

• 4 months later...