2 stroke porting/head work in BC?

As far as I have concluded there is no one in BC that can do 2 stroke porting. Decking the head and shaving the base is easy and any half decent shop can do it but you will have to tell them how much.....

this is what concerned me as and decking requires squish correction on the head.

I guess i'll be sending my cylinder and head it down south.

Doesn't list porting as a option in their services....

Well they do offer it, just give them a call. Not sure on prices these days but a couple years ago it was $250 to port a 2 stroke cylinder and around $80 to recut a head.

They've been around forever and sleds are still a huge thing for them so they are no strangers to 2 strokes.

Mongoose Machine in Couquitlam has ported 1000's of 2 strokes. They do awesome work and I would never send my stuff all the way to the States rather than use them.

http://www.mongoosemachine.com/

They were the guys I was going to recommend the OP contacting

Edited by filterx

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates? I'd be interested to hear where you took it and how you got on. I live on Vancouver island and my local shop sends all their stuff over there. I have a dozen 2 strokes and am sure I will be needing some work done soon.

i havent had any porting/ head work done yet. Ive used Mongoose several times for cylinder welding, boreing and plateing excellent work.

Im going to use Eric Gorr to do my porting/ head work. He knows what to do to any bike to to make it how you want it.

• 2 months later...

It's well known  what  mods make your cr250 run better- I'd say first lets agree the stock head squish gap, angle and width are off and theirs no point in doing it until the cylinder has been cut down.

once the cylinder has been measured you could determine how much needs to be cut off the bottom- usually 20-30thou

then a solder squish test that will  aid in getting the squish gap right and a new cut in the head to take care of volume and beneficial width and angle on the squish band.

most any machinist  could easily handle that and then just for fun you could clean up the exhaust port and match it to the pipe , I'm sure it would be a lot mobedder lol

chech out camp  he has done some testing and don't mind saying what works or dont