Want to build a e-starter 250cc 2-stroke MX bike

Hi guys, Just want to tell you my ideal and see if I'm wrong or if I can get some input from you  :prof:

I’m really wanting an electric starter on my next bike because every time I’m at the track and earring a starter sound and immediately an engine coming to life, I’m saying to myself: dam I want this too! I only ride soft to medium soil MX track so I need a suspension stiff enough and an engine with quick throttle response.

So I checked a couple of things and came to the idea of converting a 2010 and up KTM XC250 into an MX bike. This way I would have my electric starter in a 2 stroke MX bike. Here is a list of things to do I came up to:

-Mapping change to the more aggressive curve

-remove the headlight, taillight and side stand

-Change the big XC gas tank for a smaller SX one

-Send my suspensions for spring change and revalving for my weight and for track application

-Change the sprockets to have closer ratio

-What else?

Would I gain a lot by changing the pipe and silencer?

Also, from what I've found, the carburetor between the SX and the XC would be the same 36mm, right?

It's not because it is hard to kick a bike or anything like that. Even my 4-stroke start in 1 or 2 kick anytime.

Let's say you want to talk to your friend on the side of the track for a few second: with a kick you will just hold the clutch and yell at him so he can understand you, with a starter, you kill the bike, talk and go. You’re on a muddy track and stall your bike in a tight corner. It becomes handy to have the magic button  :ride:

I think the biggest change got to be the suspension. My brother have a YZ250F exactly like mine except he got himself a full Factory Connection suspension set-up and I only got respring on mine. He weighs 25 pounds more than me and I can clearly feel his bike corner better and is more stable than mine. I always wanted a setup like his but build for my weight, so this could be the opportunity. 

Just buy a 250sx and find someone with a 250 or 300xc that wants to get rid of the electric starter. Lots of people take the starters off their xc bikes.

Can't do it like that, the inner cases are different. Thats why when the guys do the estart elimination, they use the 09-10 covers off the xc motors.

Don't forget the Sx head is a different compression ratio

Good point, might have an issue spinning the starter if the bike is cold and it has the 350w starter. I had my head cut on my 300 and the 350w starter on my bike won't start the bike unless it is warm. When this starter takes a shit, it is on to the 410w starter.

Can't do it like that, the inner cases are different. Thats why when the guys do the estart elimination, they use the 09-10 covers off the xc motors.

You sure can. You just order part #5510000333. It's only $421. That is a lot cheaper than spending all the money to convert an xc to sx spec when you consider that an xc costs more than an sx to begin with and you would be throwing all the stuff you paid extra for in the parts bin. Plus an sx comes with a faster motor, better suspension and a 19" rear wheel. You might even get lucky and find someone with an XC or XCW that wants to trade all the parts and all you would have to do is split the cases to do it. That is only a few hours work to save a huge amount of money.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/KTM/2013/250XC/ENGINE-CASE/ENGINE-CASE-CPL.-250~300-%7C-13/55130000333

There have been a few projects listed on this.. motocrossaction mag did a couple of projects on making a 300 for mx.   Either an sx 250 with the ktm top end 300 kit.. but the better one to them and to me is to just buy a ktm 300xc and work on the suspension for mx. There's a 300 sx top end also..  motocrossaction also liked the 18" rear wheel . They said it worked for mx on that bike.. I guess it's also in order to find out( like someone already mentioned) ..to get the more powerful better electric estart motor and figure out what the best mods are to get the estart working the best and work on that..   Anyway if you google it or put a search here on TT there's lots of info already in existence to refer to.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=300+sx+ktm+kit+motocross+action+magazine

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

You sure can. You just order part #5510000333. It's only $421. That is a lot cheaper than spending all the money to convert an xc to sx spec when you consider that an xc costs more than an sx to begin with and you would be throwing all the stuff you paid extra for in the parts bin. Plus an sx comes with a faster motor, better suspension and a 19" rear wheel. You might even get lucky and find someone with an XC or XCW that wants to trade all the parts and all you would have to do is split the cases to do it. That is only a few hours work to save a huge amount of money.

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/KTM/2013/250XC/ENGINE-CASE/ENGINE-CASE-CPL.-250~300-%7C-13/55130000333

You have to swap the cases from an xc to an sx. From your post earlier, you made it sound like you could just grab the starter off of an xc motor and put it on the sx. I was just pointing out that it is a little more involved than just taking one starter off and putting one on another bike. 

Hi guys, Just want to tell you my ideal and see if I'm wrong or if I can get some input from you  :prof:

I’m really wanting an electric starter on my next bike because every time I’m at the track and earring a starter sound and immediately an engine coming to life, I’m saying to myself: dam I want this too! I only ride soft to medium soil MX track so I need a suspension stiff enough and an engine with quick throttle response.

So I checked a couple of things and came to the idea of converting a 2010 and up KTM XC250 into an MX bike. This way I would have my electric starter in a 2 stroke MX bike. Here is a list of things to do I came up to:

-Mapping change to the more aggressive curve

-remove the headlight, taillight and side stand

-Change the big XC gas tank for a smaller SX one

-Send my suspensions for spring change and revalving for my weight and for track application

-Change the sprockets to have closer ratio

-What else?

Would I gain a lot by changing the pipe and silencer?

Also, from what I've found, the carburetor between the SX and the XC would be the same 36mm, right?

How about just do the most important parts first.. say the suspension. There's no need to change the tank for example. ..just put less gas. The weight is like nothing and you can still go riding offroad ..or some long races etc.. As far as mapping I don't think that's a big deal . It may be better actually with the xc mapping anyway.  Jimmy lewis did a long term review of the ktm 250xc as an excellent do everything bike. That sounds great to me and you don't have to change much.. suspension and gearing is what I'd do first and just ride it... You can always add tons of stuff later. I'd go with the 300 top end..  but check on the estart because there are problems that need to be addressed there. No sense you do all the other stuff and your estart keeps breaking to the tune of $500 a pop. I think the newest ktm's have improved but I'm not sure to what level. Do a search on that . A couple of years ago I started looking at getting a ktm estart and saw there were issues so I went with Beta 300rr because the estart design worked well with no issues and for other reasons. .. but I heard the new ktm's have bigger motors and other improvements.. so I'd look there for research. I would think that just getting a more new ktm 300xc, Gasgas 300, husky 300 or Beta 300rr . ..and set up the suspension stiffer and gearing.. The earlier ktm's seem to have too many problems with the estart so a later model would be at least better.  To me all the 250 and 300 enduro bikes can work well.. Here's Danny Mcanney on a gasgas and you can see that the ktm , husky and Beta or whatever all work well with just a few mods. KTM especially ought to be easy to get some mods and settings  since the brand is so common.. but to me any of the top 300 enduro bikes that have electric start are good to go with a few mods.

I think installing an electric starter on a SX involves a lot more than just a crankcase. I would need to change:

-The whole wiring harness

-Add a voltage regulator

-A battery case and a battery

-Changing the stator and magneto assembly

-Maybe just the left center crankcase and the stator cover

-Install all the electric starter components

I definitively think all those parts will cost more than a suspension setup and a few part

... but check on the estart because there are problems that need to be addressed there. No sense you do all the other stuff and your estart keeps breaking to the tune of $500 a pop. I think the newest ktm's have improved but I'm not sure to what level. Do a search on that . A couple of years ago I started looking at getting a ktm estart and saw there were issues so I went with Beta 300rr because the estart design worked well with no issues and for other reasons. .. but I heard the new ktm's have bigger motors and other improvements.. so I'd look there for research. I would think that just getting a more new ktm 300xc, Gasgas 300, husky 300 or Beta 300rr . ..and set up the suspension stiffer and gearing.. The earlier ktm's seem to have too many problems with the estart so a later model would be at least better...

After checking quickly the last subjects of the KTM 2-stroke forum, it seems clear that the electric starter have their issues! I will search to see what are the years and model with starter problem and also check what are the fixes. Seems to have some upgrades to do in order to have a reliable starter. 

Thanks for the info

• Like 1